Eastern Orthodox Claims

An recent Eastern Orthodox convert has been corresponding with me, as I had posted an article on another site refuting ‘Orthodox’ claims. He responded with sending a link to this site: ancientfaith.com/podcasts/ourlife/P60/ (“Rome, Petrine Doctrine and the Orthodox tradition.”)

He believes Orthodox are correct because, according to him, “Catholics make the error of assuming all the Early Church Fathers agree with them”. He says, “this radio program points out, the resolutions of the Councils were the only things that the Early Church fathers adhered to, not the Pope. In fact, the Pope had hardly any authority throughout Eastern Europe, Asia Minor and Asia itself”.

Unfortunately, my computer speakers are broken so I am not able to listen to this program and I’m not too familiar with apologetics regarding Eastern Orthodox, so how should I respond to these statements?

Thanks.

I think the first thing you’ll need to do is ask a more specific question, or, if your original question was specific, try to word it differently. I’m not sure I understand what particular issues with Eastern Orthodox you’re asking about.

That being said, you mentioned the pope. I would read the discussion in this thread: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=223404. The original poster posed several Eastern objections to the Papacy, and myself and several others answered.

Okay, I’ll restate it differently …

I posted a few links showing biblical and historical evidence that St. Peter was indeed the pope. This person whom I’m responding to doesn’t believe this because, according to him, “if it were true, then it would have been adhered to by the Early Church fathers, and it seems the opposite is true.”

He responded with sending a link to this site: ancientfaith.com/podcasts/ourlife/P60/ (“Rome, Petrine Doctrine and the Orthodox tradition.”)

He believes the Orthodox position is correct because, according to him, “Catholics make the error of assuming all the Early Church Fathers agree with them”. He says, “this radio program points out, the resolutions of the Councils were the only things that the Early Church fathers adhered to, not the Pope. In fact, the Pope had hardly any authority throughout Eastern Europe, Asia Minor and Asia itself”.

Unfortunately, my computer speakers are broken so I am not able to listen to this program and I’m not too familiar with apologetics regarding Eastern Orthodox, so how should I respond to these statements?

Thanks.

I would start with the link I provided. It contains a lot of information about the papacy.

For example, it shows some evidence that the early Fathers did indeed submit to the Pope. It also provides evidence and links to evidence showing that the councils were not even regarded as submitting to without the approval of the pope.

You will find the following links helpful:

Orthodoxy and the Primacy of Rome - What do the Orthodox Concede?

The Council of Chalcedon and the Papacy - a look at all the evidence from just *one *early (451) Council alone about the Papacy.

Popes, Councils, and Orthodoxy - a look at several Orthodox myths about the Papacy

Various Articles Regarding the Papacy in History

Check any articles here regarding Pope Leo, as well as losts of other resources regarding Eastern Orthodoxy

See Here Under “The Popes and the Councils”

Steven Ray’s Book Upon this Rock is a tremendous resource. It looks over the entire early history of the Church - including one section devoted to the Eastern Church - and the views of the fathers.

Need anything further, simply ask.

Peace and God bless

Would you happen to have any more information/evidence about these subjects (the early Fathers did submit to the Pope, etc.)? and Thank you very much for the links.

The info you’re looking for is all in the various links I provided, in particular the first few, and in the original link I posted in my first response.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

I would stess this point to your friend. None of the resolutions of any of the councils would have been in place without the approval of the pope. All council resilutions had to be approved by the pope before they were considered as valid. So, by submitting to the resolutions of any council, they were submitting to the pope.

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.