Eastern Rite Disciplines

I thought it was right to left. When my cousin was married in a Maronite Catholic Church, I couldn’t figure out the pew book! :confounded:

Oops. I thought right, but wrong. Fixed it.

You’re forgiven. :grinning:

I honestly don’t read Arabic/Aramaic/or Syriac. I’m of German-Irish descent, and Roman Catholic by birth, but have made my way East over the past decade.

The Melkites are my primary experience of the Byzantine tradition, although I have spent a significant amount of time among the Ruthenians as well.

That being said, doesn’t “intinction” simply refer to the manner of distributing Communion whereby the Sacred Body is first soaked in the Precious Blood before then being given to the communicant? Perhaps I’m wrong on that.

From what I understand, intinction is when the priest dips the bread into the wine immediately before placing it on the tongue. So they are kept separate until the actual moment of communion.

I so agree with you! And are they racked with the same scandal and loss of faith as the LR?

I will read that document.

So true, many are unaware!! I have known for 8 years or so and bc of all the LR liturgical abuses and clown masses, I’ve been interested in the ER. We do have a wonderfully holy bishop here though and we have found a reverent and beautiful mass. So thank you God.

I so appreciate all the replies and I’m hoping I can make the two hour drive to Irving to go the ER Divine Liturgy as someone called it.

Which makes sense bc doesn’t the separation of the body and blood (why Jesus separates them at last supper) mean death, and the reunification of the two mean life? Total amateur here. Just wondering. Intinction makes sense in that regard.

Holy Mass is Θεία λειτουργία in Greek (Theía leitourgía). I think you can recognize liturgy from the Greek word - λειτουργία (pronounced leitourgia). Divine Θεία (Theía) coming from the word Θεός (God - pronounced Theos). The Mass is liturgy.

Just before the Eucharistic prayer, the priest or deacon pours a few drops of water to the wine in the chalice while praying that “He for our sake has become a true human being may give us part of his divine nature”. (Blood and water flowing from Christ´s side on the cross - read the Gospels) Blood and water are united in the chalice.

When the priest breaks the Host he puts a small piece of the Host in the chalice when he prays that the Body and Blood of Christ are united in this chalice and give us part of eternal life.

I don’t have access to the prayers in English so what I wrote is a fast and shorter translation.

Bernie. I think you have dived into the deeper meaning of the Eucharist here. :smiley: It makes sense to receive both the Body and Blood of Christ at the same time either by intinction or on a spoon.

I asked one of our parish member how the Syro-Malabar Catholic Church receive Holy Communion and she said is by intinction or if there are a lot of people (1000 or so) at the liturgy then it is only the body of Christ.

I’ve never seen it used other than meaning dipping while holding.

(non-Melkite) byzantine usage adds both the consecrated Body and (non-Ruthenian) other bread from the same Lam (from the bread) into the Cup, and spoons a host (or just the blood for infants) into the mouth.

Melkite usage has strips, which the priest holds by one end while dipping the other. RC can have the priest dip a host (but this seems rarer than the abuse where the communicant does she). Proddies (:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::scream:) sometimes have the communicant do so . . .

???

There is no “Eucharistic prayer” in Eastern Christianity, the practices of which are the subject of this thread.

The Eucharistic Prayer is the western version of the Anaphora.

Most (all?) slavic, as well as Melkite, practices adds hot water after the Anaphora, representing the fervor of our prayers.

Again, very much not Eastern. It all goes in, as well as (non-Ruthenian) additional bread.

I know very little of their practice, other than that they’re not byzantine, but Syriac. I’d like to know more, but . . .

This is the first I’ve heard of non-consecrated bread being placed in the chalice. Do you know where I can learn more about this?

All I can say is THANK YOU all from the Eastern Rite Catholics for sharing all of this with us. I would never have known any of this had you all not shared it here. We’re brothers & sisters in Christ and I hope to see you all in Heaven one day.

The best I can offer is the forums at byzcath.org, and a google search, although there are likely more. It’s come up in the context of the byzantines doing it differently, particularly consecrating the entire Lamb.

Also, during Lent, part of the fast is refraining from weekday Divine Liturgy. We have W and F presanctified liturgy, in which the host is reserved from the weekend, and added to unconsecrated wine for reception

I’ve been attending Mass in the Maronite Church for the past 7 years and just last March transferred formally from the Latin Rite to the Maronite Rite! In my experience we do not chant the regular Saturday Evening Mass. We do sing a couple of songs in English. The Mass I attend is primarily in English (I’m in the U.S.) however the consecration is in Aramaic and as babochka said Holy Communion is by intinction, and received on the tongue. We do have Lector’s (readers) and Altar Serverer’s however we do NOT have Eucharistic Minister’s as the laity is NOT permitted to touch the Eucharist.

Maybe you could one weekend take the 2 hour drive to the Maronite Church in Lewisville, TX!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.