Eastern Rite Exorcists

**I have married an Eastern Rite Catholic. I am Latin. Tonight I was told that all Eastern Rite priests are exorcists…and Latin rite not.

I know that many exorcists need to be appointed by the local Bishop. So this information says that ALL Eastern rite priest are automatically exorcists?

True? Please give me references to verify.**

Well I mean certain rites within the Eastern Churches carry multiple exorcisms. The anaphora for the blessing of baptismal water in the Maronite Church traditionally had 9 (someone correct me if I’m mistaken on the number) exorcisms. If only a designated priest could exorcise than the baptismal rite would be extremely restricted, etc.

What does baptism have to do with exorcism?

If you would be so kind as to reread my post you will withdraw your question: there are exorcisms within the baptismal rite. The water is exorcised as well as the church.

Every baptism begins with an exorcism ritual in the Byzantine rite.

All Latin Church priests are exorcists as well. Exorcist is a minor order of the priesthood which was abolished in 1972. All priests, well, all clergy, are able to cast out demons by virtue of their office, but in the West, the exorcism of possessed people is a special ministry that is conferred on selected priests.

There are two meanings for “exorcist”…

(1) a minor orders ordination, comparable to taper-bearer (aka candlebearer), lector, acolyte, or cantor. All minor orders were suppressed in the mid 1960’s within the Roman Rite; the fullness of their ordination is included in the diaconal ordination even if not separately imposed.
(2) a priest (or very rarely deacon) appointed with a specific faculty to investigate, evaluate, and treat demonic possession, and/or to perform the ritual of the greater exorcism, to expel demons.

The lesser exorcism, also known as the baptismal exorcism, is used at every priest-performed baptism…

The greater exorcism is used to combat possession, and is not a default faculty in any church to my knowledge. Rome’s always been a bit twitchy about who is permitted to investigate demonic possessions, as the mentally ill are often confused for the possessed (and now, vice versa).

Every Deacon and Priest has the power to banish demons by commanding them out, and in those Churches Sui Iuris where exorcist is still used, every ordained exorcist and subdeacon as well. Not every one of them has permission to do the investigations and rituals to deal with possession.

newadvent.org/cathen/05711a.htm discusses the pre-vatican II practice, and the history of the order of exorcists.

I assume this is a dufferent kind of exorcism? I mean, there wiuld be no need to cast out demons from those about to be baptized. :confused:

This is explained in the Catholic Encyclopedia:

This did not imply that they were considered to be obsessed, like demoniacs, but merely that they were, in consequence of original sin (and of personal sins in case of adults), subject more or less to the power of the devil, whose “works” or “pomps” they were called upon to renounce, and from whose dominion the grace of baptism was about to deliver them.

This is also true in the Roman Rite.

The exorcism ritual as part of baptism is used except for the rare emergency baptisms. It is of benefit, but not essential to the validity of baptism.

Thanks. That makes sense.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.