Eastern Saints in relationship to the Catholic Church

I’m not sure where to post this, so I’ll post it here, which is as close as I can come to an applicable category.

For quite some time, I’ve listened to the daily Saint of the Day podcast that the Franciscans put out. By now, I’m recognizing some of the podcasts, as of course the saint of the day repeats annually.

Just recently I found an Eastern Orthodox Saint of the Day podcast and added it to my daily group. As many of the saints discussed there predate the schism, they’re easy to figure out in relationship to the Catholic Church.

But what about those that post date the schism? How do we in the Catholic Church view those regarded as saints that come after that date?

Hi Yeoman,:),We in the Eastern Catyholic Church`s venerate these saints and they are on our calenders,so by extension they it would be acceptablefor them to be venerated by the Universal Church. The only exceptions were those that were vocally against Rome. Actually, there is a thread on this in the Eastern Catholic section and some good detailed answers are there.

I believe there are some post-schism Orthodox saints venerated by Eastern Catholic churches, but not by the Roman church. Saint Nectarios of Aegina is one of them, he is venerated in the the Melkite Catholic Church but not in any other.

Many Eastern saints are venerated in their own “local” Churches. So you may have Ukrainian satins that only are venerated in the Ukrainian Church and not in the Ruthenian, Russian, etc. Remember, saints are our spiritual heroes, the saints venerated are those who can relate in spirituality to the members of a particular Church. Although a good number of them also eventually become recognized by the greater Catholic Church which include the Latins.

Right Cobstantine.Maybe sometimes we tend to forget calenders are local things, but the faithful may venerate any saint on any of the local calenders of the individual church sui iuris`s.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.