"Easternizations" in Latin Rite Churches

There has been much talk about “Latinizations” in Eastern Rite Churches.

So can anybody give me some examples of “Easternization” in Latin Rite Churches?

Thank you!

[quote=GoLatin]There has been much talk about “Latinizations” in Eastern Rite Churches.

So can anybody give me some examples of “Easternization” in Latin Rite Churches?

Thank you!
[/quote]

Priests with beards :smiley: Just kidding, but the altar rail was developed from the iconostasis, so theres got to be some more. Also the icon of Our lady of perpetual help hangs at the back of my Church. The San Damiano crucifix is also quite eastern.

Pews. Eastern Rites traditionally stood. Pews are now being removed from Eastern churches.

Celibate priesthood. It has been required of American and Australian Eastern priests by Rome from 1929 (I believe it was lifted this May, but am not positive).

The rosary. This is a western devotion. I believe the Eastern comparable is a chotki (sp?)

There are more, but I will let others respond…

Oh, one more I just thought of:

Statues. The Easterners traditionally had none; only 2D icons.

Wasn’t this about “Easternizations” in Latin Churches?

Oh! Duh! I read that and internalized it totally wrong. Sorry.

It happens.

“Easternizations” in the Catholic church are different. We have embraced icons, and well… that’s about it. I don’t think it’s an overwhelming problem as it is in some eastern rite parishes.

I believe the current understanding of purgatory (not necessarily a place, but more emphasis on the process) is an Easternization.

I have never heard of an Easternization in the Latin Rite. Using an Icon is not an Easternization as the Latins use pictures all the Time.The most Famous pictoral representation of the BVM is Our Lady of Perpetual Help .Which is an Icon !

I think we have more genuine paintings rather than eastern icons.

[quote=Freeway4321]I think we have more genuine paintings rather than eastern icons.
[/quote]

I think most western art is not iconography as it is 3D. For that matter, I’ve never seen a western church which embraced 2D iconography.

[quote=JOHNYJ]I have never heard of an Easternization in the Latin Rite. Using an Icon is not an Easternization as the Latins use pictures all the Time.The most Famous pictoral representation of the BVM is Our Lady of Perpetual Help .Which is an Icon !
[/quote]

Our whole roman rite is an offspring from the syriac and other eastern traditions
the first 50 popes were greek speaking, some of the from syria too
i dont see the problem :slight_smile:

The Feasts of the Dormition of the Mother of God (Assumption) and the Conception of St. Anne (Immaculate Conception) both started in the Eastern Church and were adopted in the Western church.:eek:

[quote=Thaumaturgos]Our whole roman rite is an offspring from the syriac and other eastern traditions
the first 50 popes were greek speaking, some of the from syria too
i dont see the problem :slight_smile:
[/quote]

I don’t know that the OP is saying there is a problem and IMO I’d rather see us blending with the traditions that the Eastern Rite churches have than grasping back to the “Ancient Church” .

I love watching the Chaldean Mass!

Removing kneelers and standing for the Eucharistic prayer and Consecration as well as standing to receive Holy Communion?

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]Removing kneelers and standing for the Eucharistic prayer and Consecration as well as standing to receive Holy Communion?
[/quote]

To be quite honest with you, if our liturgy was as holy as the Eastern Rite mass, I would not have a problem with it.
One must look at the big picture.
As we go to the “Ancient Church” for a way to act in mass, it homogenized with the schizims. Those that Protested against the Catholic Church.
Eastern Rites are Catholic.

I would have less of a problem will innovations coming to our churches if they looked like Eastern Rite and the focus was the same as in the Eastern Rite. On the Eucharist.

Good posts.
We had a thing, primarily in the '70s and '80s, but still kicking around today in the West for what was described by Pius XII as “antiquarianism.” Basically, this thought process was, since the early Church did it this way, it must be “purer” than later liturgical advancements. Not *necessarily *a bad concept, but it led to really bad things, like out and out iconoclasm. Plus, it was somewhat silly… the reason the early church did celebration that way was because it was persecuted!

From that we have the really atrocious looking wooden churches today, the gymnasium structures or the barn structures. This reversion to the ancient days was kind of an unintended result of Vat II. Bl John XXIII wanted Vatican II for a variety of reasons, including (since he was a papal legate in Constantinople) a reunion with the Orthodox. Instead we got a Liturgy that was almost a polar opposite to the Divine Liturgy or the Syriac Liturgies, or even the Maronite Qorbono (separating from even just Catholics only). The Novus Ordo is wonderful, but, like any Holy Liturgy, it needs the accoutrements. We Latins and Easterners aren’t Protestants, who worship exclusively with either the heart or the mind. Our worship entails a worship with the entire human person, visual, aural. It needs good music and beautiful icons/statues.

Icons in Latin rite churches, that’s all I’ve noticed. However, many Latin Rite Churches in Italy have icons in them, Italy was heavily influneced by Byzantine Art.

[quote=Forest-Pine]I think most western art is not iconography as it is 3D. For that matter, I’ve never seen a western church which embraced 2D iconography.
[/quote]

Here above the sanctuary in St. Mary Major’s you can see an Icon of Christ crowning the Blessed Mother. You can’t see it too well, but beneath it between the two windows is another icon of the Dormition of the Mother of God.

http://www.abiyoyo.com/italia/roma/mariamaggiore/mariamaggiore14.jpg

abiyoyo.com/italia/roma/mariamaggiore/mariamaggiore14.htm

[quote=twiztedseraph]Priests with beards :smiley: Just kidding, but the altar rail was developed from the iconostasis, so theres got to be some more. Also the icon of Our lady of perpetual help hangs at the back of my Church. The San Damiano crucifix is also quite eastern.
[/quote]

Actually the altar railing was a modification of the rood screen which is fully Latin. A rood screen, while resembleing an Iconostasis, was something different.

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]Removing kneelers and standing for the Eucharistic prayer and Consecration as well as standing to receive Holy Communion?
[/quote]

I don’t think so. I think this is nothing more than inculturation. As Americans we left the royalty of Western Europe. In American Culture we stand to show respect, the same as the East does. If you notice, it is prisoners who kneel.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.