Eat a chip; free a soul!

Remember: November is the month where we are to offer our sufferings in union with the Holy Souls in Purgatory. So here’s something off-the-wall you can do to help those Holy Souls.

First, check out this video:

“Paqui” is a tortilla chip that is coated with powdered Carolina Reaper peppers, the World’s HOTTEST pepper, at least 1,569,300 Scofield units. The One-Chip Challenge is to eat a single chip and see how long you can wait before you drink milk or eat ice cream to stop the burning.

Now … picture eating the chip slowly. As you chew, you are praying your rosary, and you unite this suffering so that with every bead a soul is freed from Purgatory. With that image in mind, do you think you have what it takes to unite your suffering to the Cross of Christ and know, really KNOW, that you can last the entire 15-20 minutes of an entire Rosary, and that when you are finished, you will have an entire army of Holy Souls praying for you!

Anyone else willing to do this?

2 Likes

I don’t get the chip connection… couldn’t people just pray the rosary without eating a chip? :thinking:

4 Likes

Sad. Sad. So very sad. :sob:

According to the “Sriracha2Go” website, Paqui has sold out of One Chip Challenge chips. You can still find them on places like Amazon, but at madly inflated prices ($26? with free shipping! wow.)

However, Paqui still makes (and Walmart sells) their Paqui Haunted Ghost Pepper Tortilla Chips. Now, these aren’t as spicy as the One Chip Challenge chips (only a measly 1,000,000 Scofield units) but they should still provide enough heat and suffering to free a couple of souls.

2 Likes

Watch the video. You’ll see these just aren’t “chips”. They are coated in the spiciest pepper in the world, where you need to wash your hands after touching them to make sure you don’t spread the spice. Eating the chip causes PAIN. Hair shirts are out after Labor Day, and self-flagellation is SO last century. Here is a way to experience suffering that is extraordinary, which can provide extraordinary spiritual benefits.

3 Likes

Hmmm…might be a good time to get in contact with one of my brother knights. He grows hot peppers in his garden. Pray for me, not when it goes in but when the hot pepper goes out.

5 Likes

Spend a day with my mother-in-law… That is penance…

9 Likes

Ah yes, the ol ‘Burning Ring of Fire’. There is no doubt in my mind that this highly unpleasant aftereffect of chilli eating was the real inspiration behind Johnny Cash’s hit song :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Humor? Certainly our penance is in the form of fasting, prayer , and almsgiving and temporal punishment – patiently bearing sufferings and trials of all kinds and, when the day comes, serenely facing death.

2 Likes

This is not something the Church teaches. Neither the Church nor we determine how many and when souls are released from Purgatory.
We should pray for the souls in Purgatory but to say that a soul is released with every bead is simply not true.

3 Likes

^ This. Better to follow the Church’s method for releasing souls from purgatory: a plenary indulgence. Which, by the way, you can gain only ONE per day, to release ONE soul. And it’s quite difficult. (But at least it doesn’t involve eating super-hot chips… :rofl:

Sounds like silliness and clickbait. Also, chewing something that hot can do permanent damage to your mouth and the people doing this are eejits.

2 Likes

The chip would be hot the ones eating it would be “suffering” like the souls in purgatory… It’s not really that complicated

1 Like

What of the Prayer of St. Gertrude, that is supposed to release 1,000 souls from Purgatory into Heaven?

Or, as an alternative, one can become a Miami Dolphins fan.

True story. Back before my priest knew me too well, I approached him before Mass about the music selections (I was somewhat new still). I told him that in light of the Gospel (the foolish Virgins, with fire and teeth-gnashing), I had picked this song, sure that everyone knew it. I hooked him as he tried to gently tell me that it was not a good idea.

After years of working together, I can not long pull such a stunt successfully.

4 Likes

Don’t talk down to me.

1 Like

The prayer itself is fine, but the claim that 1,000 souls are released each time it is said is dubious.

The below article was written by a priest friend of mine.

1 Like

Don’t even try it if it’s one of the half million+ scovil peppers.
Most of the people you see try this on youtube can’t possible be eating the thing. If you chew a carolina reaper whole you will get hurt.

2 Likes

Hot peppers get me high because of the endorphins. So I don’t think that’s a good penance for me.

Penance for me today was having to deal with the washer which clogged and then flooded due to the exploding feather pillow I mentioned in Casual Discussion yesterday. Much less fun than eating hot pepper chips.

1 Like

I’ve got some Reapers in the freezer, they’re far and away the hottest pepper I’ve ever tried; most people I know totally lose it if they taste a fresh piece the size of a grain of salt. I can certainly see using them as a mortification.

1 Like

Maybe not, but I believe it is a beneficial and uplifting image to use while praying.

(Better than mentally making out my grocery list, which has been my big problem in praying the rosary for … [dare I say it] … for decades … )

2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.