Eat kangaroo to 'save the planet'

Apparently it tastes like vension, except with a different flavor. :o

Switching from beef to kangaroo burgers could significantly help to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, says an Australian scientist.

The methane gas produced by sheep and cows through belching and flatulence is more potent than carbon dioxide in the damage it can cause to the environment.

But kangaroos produce virtually no methane because their digestive systems are different.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7551125.stm

Has anyone here eaten 'roo?

Seems I saw this a little while back.

As for me, I will stick with Beef and Lamb and of he has a problem with it, so what.

These envirowhackos get further and further out there all the time.

“Don’t fart! Save the planet!” :rolleyes:

That reminds me. I need to get the ingredients for baked beans :smiley:

But…if we eat the kangaroos and leave the flatulating cows and sheep, they will create *more *greenhouse gases. Therefore, we should eat up all the cows and sheep and leave the kangaroos. :thumbsup: :stuck_out_tongue:

Come On. You know logic is completely lost when discussing stuff with the “global warming” crowd. :rolleyes:

Peregrinus, get real. He was making a joke, not a logical argument.

I’m still wondering if anyone has eaten Skippy. I found a couple mail order sites in the US which offers ground kangaroo for $7.50/lb. I’m not a big meat eater, but it is an interesting idea.

It tastes alright, isn’t nearly as gamey as venison. I had a bad experience, but I think I just got an especially stringy cut (half of it lodged in my throat, the other half stayed in my mouth). B+, would try again, but please cook it longer this time.

I remember a big hooplah a few years back when it was alleged that a supplier of meat to McDonalds was using kangaroo rather than beef. I don’t know what the outcome was.

:newidea:

McDonalds should run with this! I can see it now - the Kanga for adults and Roo for the kids’ meals…they could do a whole Winnie-the-Pooh theme.

Rabbit would be okay, though I don’t think I would want to eat Eeyore…and I certainly wouldn’t want to order Pooh. :eek: :stuck_out_tongue:

Out of fairness, I believe that the fast food chain was What-a-Burger, not McDonald’s.

Also, it is possible to store cow manure and collect the methane for power now. I’ve heard of farms and ranches that can power their entire operation this way in the Midwest.

LOL!

I vaguely remember back in the 70s that McDonald’s faced the allegation (it may have simply been a rumor) that the beef they were importing from Australia had kangaroo mixed in. If memory serves me right, McDonald’s responded by dumping their Australian supplier and launching an advertising campaign that their meat was “all-American” or “100% American” or something like that.

But they may want to give that Winnie the Pooh idea a try.:o

It’s all in how you market it. :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW…what I remember is a horse-meat allegation, but that may have been a separate event.

Yikes. I hope I don’t choke on it, too. :frowning:

I think I will order some, once the weather turns cold (and I don’t have to worry about it thawing during shipping.) After all, its for the good of the planet. :wink:

Make some pine needle salad, treebark buns, cook up some kudzu soup and have an eco-burger-dinner! :smiley:

:hmmm: I think the closest smiley we have for BLECH! is :stuck_out_tongue: …so, I’m goin’ with that. :smiley:

There are we use down in the clubhouse from a certain site that I prefer to not use here, but I second your opinion :hypno:

Yes, I’ve eaten roo. It is available from the supermarket but what I had had been hunted. I was doing some work at one of the local Aboriginal communities and was there at lunch time. Their canteen had made kangaroo rissoles. Prior to this I had only fed it to my dogs. The meat absolutely reeks. I was going to skip lunch rather than have roo but they insisted. Anyway, there I was with my plate of rissoles and all the people of the community office around the table staring at me while I took my first bite. One of them immediately grabbed his neck in a fake choke hold and mimed gagging, “Oooh, aaahhh, I’m gunna die.” Of course, we all erupted in laughter. They weren’t half bad, but then, all the grated carrot and whatever else was in the rissoles masked the flavour.

People who eat roo on a regular basis also reek. It gets into the sweat and it is enough to make you gag. No amount of washing or deodorant can mask it. When I fed it to my dogs, they got the smelliest farts so they don’t get it anymore either.

I love the creatures. Not too keen on the idea of eating these wonderful Australian animals.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.