Eat pork is a sin?

Leviticus 11,7

“And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you.”

Only if you are a Jew living before the Life, Death, and Resurrection of Jesus Christ, which I’m assuming you aren’t. You have to distinguish between the ceremonial laws of the OT which were only applicable for a certain people at a certain time and place, and the moral laws of the OT, which are written on our hearts and are applicable for all people, at all times, everywhere.

We are no longer bound by Mosaic Dietary Laws-Old Covenant.

Our Lord’s death and ressurection established the New Covenant.

Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving; for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer (1 Timothy 4:1-5).

Under the New Law of Christ, it is no longer wrong to eat animals such as pigs or catfish, since such regulations have been removed. Those who want to be accepted by God no longer have to offer up physical animal sacrifices, since Christ offered Himself on the cross as the ultimate, permanent sacrifice for sins (Hebrews 9:28).

When Christ died on the cross, His New Law went into effect (Hebrews 9:16-22). While it is true that some of the things in the Old Law, such as the prohibition to murder or lie, are repeated in the New Law, many regulations were not carried over. The only way to know what God expects of individuals under the New Law is to study the 27 books in the New Testament that contain this law. Ultimately, all people who have lived after Christ’s death on the cross until His Second Coming will be judged by this New Law (see John 12:48).

:thumbsup:

That law was partially to help distinguish the Jews from the gentiles, but also because at the time pigs were wild animal, and more prone to have diseases due to what they ate and where they lived; they were not the same as modern pigs. So, the law actually served two purposes.

Theirs enough evidence in the NT where Jesus and Paul both say it doesn’t matter what you eat.

Since the OT dietary laws no longer apply to us, can Catholics in good standing eat horse, camel, donkey meat?

Huh, interesting, I’m just spitballing but I would say yes we can, but I don’t think many would, simply just because.

Read Acts 10.

Just because if I don’t who will?

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/5SbNnsnfIBo/hqdefault.jpg

Homer: “You’re gonna love it here, Marge. There’s shredded pork everywhere!”
Kid: “Es carne de burro.” (“It’s donkey meat.”)
Homer: “Nice to meet you!”

:smiley:

(And, yes, I know that Homer is a member of the Western Reformed Presbeyrlutheran Church, but still…)

Acts 10: 9-16
Next day, while they were still on their journey and had only a short distance to go before reaching the town, Peter went to the housetop at about the sixth hour to say his prayers. He felt hungry and was looking forward to his meal, but before it was ready he fell into a trance and saw heaven thrown open and something like a big sheet being let down to earth by its four corners; it contained every kind of animal, reptile and bird.
A voice then said to him, ‘Now, Peter, kill and eat!’
But Peter answered, ‘Certainly not, Lord; I have never yet eaten anything profane or unclean.’
Again, a second time, the voice spoke to him, ‘What God has made clean, you have no right to call profane.’
This was repeated three times, and then suddenly the container was drawn up to heaven again.

Do you watch Simpsons? I think Simpsons is a anti-Christian show. I watched a episode that disrespects Jesus Christ.

Only Jews and proselytes to Judaism ever felt an obligation to observe this law. When Christianity was founded some Jewish and Gentile Christians felt that it necessary for Gentiles to live as Jews and take up this custom. But early on the Church understood from Jesus’ own teaching that this was not so. Mark 7:18-19 has Jesus saying (with Mark’s inspired follow-up):

“Do you not realize that everything that goes into a person from outside cannot defile, since it enters not the heart but the stomach and passes out into the latrine?” (Thus he declared all foods clean.)

The Catholic Church does not keep to such facets of the Law and neither do all Jews.

Known as “kashrut” or Jewish dietary laws, not all Jews keep these laws today. While raised a Roman Catholic, I myself grew up eating an “adjusted” Sephardic kosher diet because of my heritage–and it included pork. About a sixth of American Jews (which would come out to 0.3% of the American population) fully keep kosher, fully abstaining from pork. But many religious and ethnic Jews (like myself) believe that facet of kashrut was for a more ancient time. Many Jews, religious, secular, or Christian like myself are more likely to keep kosher by avoiding the mixture of meat and dairy or because we are eating the food we grew up with and it just happens to be a kosher meal. For me it is an ethnicity thing because as a Christian I am not required to keep kosher as a requisite to salvation. (And most Jews I know love and regularly consume bacon.)

If Jesus didn’t have a problem with it, and many of us Jews don’t, I wouldn’t worry much about it.

Thank you for those verses!

In some Arab Countries to offer one an animal’s eyeball is a delicacy. so you can also eat that if you want.

I think their was good reason not to eat pork, they were seen as a dirty animal that ate everything and anything, but in modern times it is acceptable to consume pork,
An they are farmed hygienically …

Laughable.

I heavily reasearched both claims and stopped eating pork and shellfish a while back. Any attempt to rationalize the evidence is simply someone who twists scripture to fit their fleshly desires. They are reasoning with their emotions rather than their heart. They look for something half convincing then shut the bible and go home.

A direct commandment from God i cant ignore because he knows that i know the Truth so his expectations are instantly higher for me at that point. Those who are ignorant have lower expectations. But those who are willingly ignorant, tsk. Tsk… I wonder how much pork is served up at the Vatican or if the Pope eats pork.

One thing your not allowed to do is claim that your better than someone else because of their diet so Im not saying im better than anyone else. I eat lots of other bad food.

Laughing… I love it… Please do continue on with the next verse lol…

Do more research if you want the truth of the verse. God never goes back on his Word.

Have you stopped at McDonalds and Burger King lately?

If you are a Christian, catholic or protestant, you should be aware of Peters dream (Acts 11:5-9). The dream came in connection with wether the uncircumcised should share in the “Holy Meal”, sharing the body and blood of Christ, or not. Even if so, the dream still shows so called “unclean food” to be eaten. And it was said: “Do not consider anything unclean that God has declared clean.” We are as baptized persons New Persons in Christ and can eat whatever we want as long as it is not known to have bad health effects.

When God led Israel out of Egypt, he had to teach them everything, because they had been slaves for such a long time that they didn’t know how to behave as free people. To eat pork could sometimes be dangerous (trichinas) for people living in very hot surroundings.

You’re referring to the fact that Peter was confused about the meaning of the dream, then later realized God was telling him that “God has no favourites, but that anybody of any nationality who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him.” Thus he knew that all nations were to be baptized and brought to the Lord.

How about Mark 7:1-15. Jesus tells us that it isn’t what goes into our bodies that defiles us.

And I must ask, since you’re so concerned about eating pork, do you also have the same proscriptions about lobster, clams, crab? How about cheeseburgers? Is the meat you eat prepared by a kosher butcher? All dietary rules set by God for the Jewish people.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.