Eating from the Tree of Life

Greetings,

I am giving a talk on the cross as the tree of Life. Adam and Eve were told they could eat from the tree of life, but they chose the “other tree”. Well, many different church Father’s have refered to the Cross, in the Garden, as the Tree of Life. What would you say are different ways to Eat from the Tree of Life.

Eucharist is the Fruit of the tree of life, and it give life.

But where else could this talk go? I know it has lots of potential, but I am just drawing a blank.

peace

[quote=TKMP]Greetings,

I am giving a talk on the cross as the tree of Life. Adam and Eve were told they could eat from the tree of life, but they chose the “other tree”. Well, many different church Father’s have refered to the Cross, in the Garden, as the Tree of Life. What would you say are different ways to Eat from the Tree of Life.

Eucharist is the Fruit of the tree of life, and it give life.

But where else could this talk go? I know it has lots of potential, but I am just drawing a blank.

peace
[/quote]

Prayer, Scripture reading, meditation, contemplation, and spiritual reading are also ways to eat of the Tree of Life. Indeed, performing the Corporal and Spiritual Acts of Mercy are also ways in which we receive life and give life to others. I hope that helps you. :slight_smile:

My priest used to bring this up alot. Here is basically how he put it:

Adam and Eve were to eat of the fruit of the Tree of Life so that they would live forever.

Jesus is the fruit of Mary’s womb, and we are to eat of Him so that we may have eternal life.

Jesus as the fruit of the womb hung from the tree on Calvary just as the fruit hung from the Tree of Life in the garden.

The book of Revelation also mentions that the Tree of Life is in heaven: Rev 2:7 "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who conquers I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.’ "

I appreciate this learned discussion. Thank you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.