Eating meat on Friday in Advent

I know I should know this… buy my mother raised us Catholic… as it was pre-Vatican 2 so I get confused on things that the church changed. Are we allowed to eat meat on Fridays in Advent? I believe we are not supposed to eat meat on Fridays in Lent, but something tells me in Advent its different. I am confused please set me straight

If you live in the United States, yes.

We are allowed to eat meat on every Friday outside of Lent.

Now, there’s also the question of whether one is required to offer some form of penance on Friday.

This is a subject which can end in a kerfuffle, but I am of the opinion that no, one is not required to do penance on Fridays, but that rather, the US Bishops have strongly urged us to do so.

In addition to the following links:

jimmyakin.org/2004/07/more_on_friday_.html
wdtprs.com/blog/2012/11/quaeritur-does-the-obligation-to-do-penance-on-fridays-bind-us-under-pain-of-sin/

I also have the opinion of a trusted, well-formed, and orthodox confessor on this matter.

thank you

I was of the impression that some form of penance was mandatory…and anyway, we certainly need penance in this world of ours!

It is pretty settled that we have to do penance. Why are you of the contrary opinion?

To my mind, InNomineDomini and the links he made, settle it that even tho’ the bishops strongly advise it that no penance is required. The wording is difficult. I suggest you listen to Jimmy Akin and Father Z (both very orthodox Catholics). (I have nothing to gain by this argument since I abstain from meat every Friday anyway.)

What sort of penance is suggested on Fridays? I admit this is the first I have heard of this. :o

CCC 1438 The seasons and days of penance in the course of the liturgical year (Lent, and each Friday in memory of the death of the Lord) are intense moments of the Church’s penitential practice.These times are particularly appropriate for spiritual exercises, penitential liturgies, pilgrimages as signs of penance, voluntary self-denial such as fasting and almsgiving, and fraternal sharing (charitable and missionary works).

Get yourself a copy of The Catechism. There are no fast days in Advent.

I believe that “appropriate” is a vague term and the one of much contention.

I think 1 Timothy 4:1-5 should answer your question!

Its not vague to me. I see CCC 1438 as saying Fridays are days of penance and the appropriate refers to the type of penance best suited for Fridays. How is that contentious?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.