Eating meat tomorrow, on Friday in Lent is OK?

Not that I am recommending anyone do this, but it seems that tomorrow, March 25th it is ok to eat meat.

Can. 1251 Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Interesting, in all my years, have never come across this little tidbit. Learn something new everyday.

[quote="tafan, post:1, topic:233682"]
Not that I am recommending anyone do this, but it seems that tomorrow, March 25th it is ok to eat meat.

Can. 1251 Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Interesting, in all my years, have never come across this little tidbit. Learn something new everyday.

[/quote]

I could be wrong, but I do believe that the fact that it is lent would change things a bit. Anyhow, it is still better to abstain. Best yet to fast, if you can manage it.

I beleive tomorrow is a Feast Day, not a Solemnity, therefore we are still required to abstain from meat but hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will answer. God bless.

According to universalis it is a Solemnety.

Our priest said today that tomorrow is the solemenity of Mary. Thus you can eat meat. But like mentioned, if you don’t have a need for meat, do without it as a suffering. Just think some of the peope in Japan are having a hard time to find any food.

We will be enjoying some tofu just to show a little reverence during lent. It's a tiny sacrifice to make, and I really like the stuff anyway!

Not to mention meat has gotten EXPENSIVE here recently :shrug:

Our priest tonight recommended we
"celebrate" tomorrow by not abstaining from meat. The Solemnity overrides the Lenten rules.

[quote="Monicad, post:3, topic:233682"]
I beleive tomorrow is a Feast Day, not a Solemnity, therefore we are still required to abstain from meat but hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will answer. God bless.

[/quote]

OOPS

I stand corrected. This exact question was answered by Michelle Arnold on the "Ask an Apologist" forum a few days ago I just checked.

Tomorrow is a Solemnity and no we are not required to abstain from meat. Go figure I don't know it all!!!

:D I'm still eating tofu. We'll say we slayed a tofu-da-beast in celebration:o No seriously though, spiced and fried tofu = 7th heaven.

Your priest is exercising wisdom, IMO.
It is a Feast Day, a day of joyful celebration.

from the Bishops Conference, USA:

[webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:eTAU_XEQmz4J:www.nccbuscc.org/prolife/liturgy/98mary.shtml+usccb,+feast+of+the+Annunciation&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com](http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:eTAU_XEQmz4J:www.nccbuscc.org/prolife/liturgy/98mary.shtml+usccb,+feast+of+the+Annunciation&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com)

"The feast of the Annunciation of the Lord is both a festival of Christ and of the Virgin: a celebration which honors the Word who became the Son of Mary, and the Virgin who became the Mother of God through the workings of the Holy Spirit. It is a remembrance of that moment in time, which was the pinnacle in the dialogue initiated by God with the human race concerning our salvation. Further, it is the remembrance of Mary's consent and of her participation in the fulfilment of God's plan for our redemption. Concerning the feast of the Annunciation, St. Augustine writes: "The Lord is believed to have been conceived on the 25th day of March, upon which day he also suffered. [Early Christians believed this date to be the date of Christ's death on the cross.] So the womb of the Virgin in which he was conceived, where no mortal was ever begotten, corresponds to the new grave in which he was buried, wherein no one was ever laid, neither before him nor since."

From the Archdiocese of Chicago website:

odw.org/LentenFastRegulations/tabid/9988/language/en-US/Default.aspx

[quote="Norseman82, post:11, topic:233682"]
From the Archdiocese of Chicago website:

odw.org/LentenFastRegulations/tabid/9988/language/en-US/Default.aspx

[/quote]

Yoohoo?

from Page One of the site:

No Abstinence from Meat, Friday, March 25

"The Solemnity of the Annunciation of Mary falls this year on Friday, March 25. Because it is a solemnity, the faithful are not obligated to observe the Lenten abstinence from meat, per Canon 1251 of the Code of Canon Law.
No dispensation is necessary."

archchicago.org/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.