Eating the Eucharist gives me eternal life?

50 This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that a man may eat of it and not die. 51 I am the living bread[c] which came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever; and the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh.” (John 6:50-11)

If I eat the Eucharist will I be forever “saved.” Christ seems to say here that if you eat Him, the living bead, the Eucharist, then you will never die and will have eternal life.

If this passage refers to the Eucharist, how do some people go to hell after eating the Eucharist?

Yes true but we also must take up our cross and carry it. We can believe and receive but if we continue to sin we need to continue to go to Confession and receive absolution.

1 Like

so…what about the prots…they don’t have the Eucharist

That’s the million dollar question

2 Likes

They are God’s problem, not ours. The Church also holds that those who are baptized may be saved, and they are baptized.

And there are a few more matters concerning being saved than just receiving the Eucharist.

I’m still confuse. If you eat the Eucharist you have eternal life! How can you lose this promise?

How can you lose this promise ?
Easy - sin - and not give a #@$&*
Or blaspheme the Holy Ghost.

1 Like

I guess I’m struggling with the name of what we have. “Eternal life” is eternal, no? How can you lose something that is eternal?

Biblically according to Join in context Jesus IS eternal life

Jn 6:53 So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you;
54 he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.

Jn 6:40 For this is the will of my Father, that every one who sees the Son and believes in him should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day."

This part is just my opinion, so take it or leave it as you will, but in 40 it says “everyone who sees” him, the only ones who believe it is really Jesus are Catholic and Orthodox (some Lutherans, Methodists only after consumption) We see him.

When Jesus is referring to eternal life in the passage he isn’t speaking of yours, he is speaking of HIS eternal life.

Jn 17:2 since thou hast given him power over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom thou hast given him.
3 And this is eternal life, that they know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent.

Egocentrism tells us he is talking about us, when he is actually talking about himself with regard to eternal life. Without him you have no eternal life within you.

Peace and God Bless
Nicene

2 Likes

Or eternal Hell - is the big eternal no.

I guess that makes sense…thanks. I need to think about this a lot more

The Bible says that those who believe on the Son will be saved. Is this true? Yes! But is it the whole story? The Bible also tells us to be baptized to be saved. Is this true? Yes! But wait, I thought we had to believe on the Son to be saved. The thing is, both are true. And so are the statements that we must eat Christ’s flesh and persevere until the end. The Bible is meant to be taken in its entirety, not just picked apart for one or two verses. What we will get out of those one or two verses will be true, but it won’t be the entire story.

1 Like

Eating the flesh of the Son of Man and drinking His blood “assumes” that you believe in Him and follow His teachings (and are currently doing as He desires). If you receive the Eucharist while conscious of grave sin- well, Paul talks about what happens when you profane the Lord’s body and blood.

1 Like

Exactly. To eat the Eucharist–that is, receive Catholic communion–it is mandatory to be in a state of grace. That means that you have no serious sin on your soul, and a firm purpose of amendment and atonement for ALL your sins, part of the formula for forgiveness in the sacrament of Confession. Thus, in a state of grace and receiving the Eucharist, you are an integral part of the Body of Christ and a branch adhering to the vine (as Jesus put it). You have His eternal life.
Keep in mind that those in Hell have eternal life, too, but it is a life cut off from God. Our souls are immortal.

2 Likes

My twelve year old niece, surprisingly told me,
how good she felt after receiving the Eucharist.
If she felt sick going to mass, she’d be feeling much better.
If she felt good going to mass, she’d feel more happier and joyous.
I looked at her - and had to smile
" I love it " - she said :innocent:

1 Like

You are reading the passage as if it meant a guarantee of salvation. People have free will and can fall away at any time by sinning. The important thing is to repent and get back to a state of grace. Remember Peter, he had the Eucharist then went ahead and denied our Lord three times, within hours.

I would think that you have to believe in what Jesus said about this bread being his flesh, his body and blood. Believing as a little child, everything he says. Accepting it as our food. If one believes this, that God is allowing us to be so close to him as to live in us… one would want to do everything in one’s power to never offend God. “He who loves me keeps my commandments.”

Now if one eats the bread and drinks the wine with grave sin on his soul… or if he doesn’t believe it is anything but bread and wine and just makes a joke out of it–that is how onemight get to hell after eating the Eucharist.

About being “forever” saved… it’s a daily struggle. So many choices. But if you love Jesus and try your best to be holy, you will be ok.

I wonder who else she made sick from the cup…

The effects of the alcohol content should purify the cup.

And Eucharistic Ministers are trained in doing it a certain way.

Wine doesn’t have that much alcohol content.

Also, ethyl alcohol doesn’t do squat against virii :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.