Eating with no head cover?

This is something I was taught growing up & I was wondering where it came from. 1 of the only times I remember people talking about it being a Catholic thing was when I was watching the film called Easy Riders.

Well maybe it had nothing to do with being Catholic in the film, but here it goes:
youtube.com/watch?v=rgxHV_KmIvE&feature=related (at about 3:45). Maybe it was because they were praying or eating at a table, but my parents did tell me this is a Catholic thing growing up.

Easy Rider is a blasphemous movie.

1 Like

Really? I don’t recall…

Head covers have been common throughout history. The modern-day Western world has discontinued their use over the past century.

So you’re saying it’s a modern thing to take off your hat at the table?

I think there is a bit of confusion… it is a modern practice not to use hats for men and women as fashion has changed.

It still is commonly understood that it is rude to eat with a hat, so this is why people take of their hats when they gather to eat. Yet as society has forgotten regular manners and we have become more transient, things such as this are not taught.

Many people wouldn’t blink an eye if you wore a hat to a McDonalds and ate, but it still is quite rude to sit at someone’s dinner table and not take off your hat…

God Bless
Scylla

(As far as woman’s head-coverings at Mass that is another topic, and that has to do with respect for God, respect\disrespect for self, culture and feminism.)

1 Like

Funny you should mention hats. I really love the old tradition of men wearing hats, and I enjoy wearing my fedora when possible (looking to get a dress fedora for my suit).

It’s amusing that people get so offended at the idea of women wearing veils in church, but they apparently don’t realize that in the 40s, men almost always wore hats outside far more often than a modern woman might wear a veil in church. In fact, it used to expected that men would wear hats outside.

I guess it’s the same thing as women being able to wear skirts or pants, but men can only wear pants. Not that I would want to wear skirts, but I think it’s an example of selective ignorance.

I remember when men and women wore hats. I mean HATS. Hats were works of art back then.

I wish that we still did that. Men looked good in hats. For a lady, a hat could disguise a bad hair day.

And could someone tell me why it is that some get so upset over the sight of a woman wearing a veil in church? I have encountered that in the past from some…shall we say “aging hippy-types”.

Well little old anti-establishment me! I always wear a felt Fedora or felt Western hat in the Winter and a straw Western hat in the Summer. I have each in the work variety as well as casual dress. I have a few ball caps but don’t like to wear them. The problem is that restaurants, churches, theaters, etc. do not provide a safe place for a hat while seated so we either hold it on our lap or put it on the floor under the chair, neither a desirable option.

Every good cowgirl and cowboy knows :slight_smile:

Many of the standard etiquette guidelines for men who wear hats are rarely followed these days. But if you want to be considered a person with good manners, you’ll want to know what the rules are and follow them. This applies to all hats, with the exception of hats worn for religious purposes. Remember, good manners never go out of style.
Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Instructions

[LIST=1]
*] Step 1
Remove your hat when you are indoors. Hallways, lobbies and non-residential elevators are considered similar to being on the street, so hats do not need to be removed in these instances. However, if you are in an elevator and a lady enters, good manners require that you remove your hat.
*] Step 2
Be respectful and take off your hat whenever the National Anthem is played, at outdoor weddings, and at funeral processions. When attending religious services, remove your hat unless the custom of that particular religion requires that you wear a hat of some kind.
*] Step 3
Hold your hat in your hands when etiquette dictates it cannot be worn, so that the outside of the hat is the only thing showing. The inside of the hat should be held against your body and should not visible to anyone else.
*] Step 4
Tip your hat by lifting it slightly off your forehead whenever you greet a lady in passing. Should you stop to chat, you are required to remove your hat entirely. This is called “doffing” your hat, and it’s also used to non-verbally communicate to anyone things such as “thank you” or “excuse me.”
[/LIST]

Read more: How to Practice Male Hat Etiquette | eHow.com ehow.com/how_2252421_practice-male-hat-etiquette.html?ref=Track2&utm_source=ask#ixzz0w965Eptg

Most meals are indoors sooooo rule 1 applies. :slight_smile:

AND please if you are sitting or standing in front of me at a concert etc…

OK, a little light-hearted question: How can we tell a “lady” from a garden variety woman or raving feminist?

All women, ‘garden variety’ or not, are ‘ladies’ until proven otherwise, and should be treated as ladies even IF proven to be otherwise, as far as I am concerned. Likewise all men should be treated as gentlemen.

A garden variety woman can be recognised by the fact that she won’t mind in the slightest if a gentleman tips his hat to her, but might find it unusual enough to comment on it (to the effect of ‘thank you’ or ‘how charming/quaint/etc’ )

A raving feminist, on the other hand, might well froth at the mouth and start berating the poor gentleman for doing so.

Ladies, are the ones who assume all guys are / will act as gentlemen :smiley:

Do you mean the well-dressed church-going woman who lets the church door slam in my face while I’m carrying a bag of groceries for the food bank in one hand and my cane in the other? Or perhaps you mean the one with four iridescent colors in her hair and a thorn branch tattooed around her neck. Or maybe it’s the one who can’t stop talking until about mid-Gospel.

Sorry, but I think the concept of “lady” went out the window in the 1950’s. I show the same respect to all whether young, old, male, female or indeterminate and expect the same in return.

So you are saying.
Gentlemen, are the ones who assume all girls are / will act as Ladies :smiley:

I don’t think we want to start in the gross-ness gender violations in manners…do we? :slight_smile:

As they say on FOX-News, I just want to be fair and balanced. Actually most people are quite pleasant and deserve and respond well to respect but really, we no longer engage the old niceties like standing when a lady enter a room and I haven’t doffed my hat to one since I was in uniform a long time ago.

Fair enough. I haven’t engaged in the old nicety of being always hatted, gloved and stockinged when in public either. :slight_smile:

And I don’t expect people to open doors for me, although I do so for anyone and everyone, male or female, who may be following me through a door or into a lift, or getting out of a car after me.

Do we use good manners just to respect others - Or is it just as important for our self respect?

Example: Do I use good table manners…only because I respect others at the table - OR equally because I respect myself enough… not to be wanting to be associated with a pig?

Either way, what would it cost a gentleman to stand when a girl enters? Wouldn’t it also be sending her a signal, that by doing so, you hold her to a higher level of what is expected from her, in her manners?

:slight_smile:

A lady once told me she gave-up wearing hats when she found out her husband thought it was perfectly acceptable to wear his underwear for 2-6 days :stuck_out_tongue:

And I don’t expect people to open doors for me, although I do so for anyone and everyone, male or female, who may be following me through a door or into a lift, or getting out of a car after me.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.