Ebay Is Selling A Relic Of St. Ignacious Of Loyola

Need i say more: check out the site:
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6529517249

the tittle reads as folows:
http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gifReliquie des Hl. Ignatius von Loyola, Jesuiten-Gründer

is this a sin??? does ebay stop selling eucharist to open the market of relics???

i need your comments

[quote=miguel delgado]Need i say more: check out the site:

http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gifReliquie des Hl. Ignatius von Loyola, Jesuiten-Gründer

is this a sin??? does ebay stop selling eucharist to open the market of relics???

i need your comments
[/quote]

This looks to be a First Class Relic and therefore is a body part which is already prohibited by their policy. It just needs to be reported.

How does one report this without being a member of Ebay?

Its worse. This person has many, many 1st class relics up for sale. I don’t know where the heck he got them…Check out the link to his ‘other’ items to see what he has.

Some of them are in English, most in Deutch.

Please send in complaints, we CAN win this. Specify that a 1st class relic contains human remains which ARE a prohibited item.

Well they sent me an email today 6th May saying if I cancelled my account, I could no-longer sign up again with that email, and any outstanding payments need to be settled.
So I reminded them that I don’t owe any money, and please go ahead and remove me for all time,
so I’m officially not an ebay member.

I don’t think it’s a big deal. All relics are bought and sold, Ebay or elsewhere. If it’s against their policy, then sure, let them sort it out, but I’m not offended by this one.

[quote=jp2fan]I don’t think it’s a big deal. All relics are bought and sold, Ebay or elsewhere. If it’s against their policy, then sure, let them sort it out, but I’m not offended by this one.
[/quote]

It is a body part so it is against eBay policy. But it is also forbidden by the Canon Law of the Church for any Catholic to buy or sell a first class Relic…

Sie bieten auf das kostbare Reliquiar, die Reliquie ist ein Geschenk an den Höchstbietenden!

Paraphrase: You are bidding on the reliquary, the relic itself is a gift.

That seems like a loophole thats just not kosher.

I stand corrected. Thanks for educating me.

[quote=Brain]Paraphrase: You are bidding on the reliquary, the relic itself is a gift.

[/quote]

I would have no problem with that except then the picture should show an empty reliquary and the ad should not mention anything about the Relic.

QUIET YOU FOOLS!!! IT COULD BE OURS!!!

:smiley:

If this is the same guy, he’s sold thousands of first-class relics. Either they fall from the sky like manna into his chimney, or he’s a fake. And yes, this is buying and selling relics. It’s been going on forever on ebay.

[quote=miguel delgado]Need i say more: check out the site:

i need your comments
[/quote]

Wow! The guy even has a fragment of the True Cross! And to think we moderns look down on medieval peasants for thinking they had pieces of the True Cross.

I complained to E-Bay about prohibited items: the True Cross fragment (a forgery), a St. Ignatius relic, and a St. Thomas Aquinas relic.

• Liberian

Well, don’t relics usually come with a certificate of authenticity from the Vatican?

My Grandma has a gold rose (a real rose that was dipped in solid gold). An uncle of mine really does have a piece of the true cross (more like a splinter really) he has it encased in an eucharist-adoration thingy (Sorry, can’t remember what it’s called… anybody?) They both come with these beautiful old certificates of authenticity from the Vatican.

Does it matter? I always thought that relics and blessed items lost their significance once they were sold…am I right?

Oh yeah…the word you are looking for is “monstrance”

[quote=jdnation]Well, don’t relics usually come with a certificate of authenticity from the Vatican?

My Grandma has a gold rose (a real rose that was dipped in solid gold). An uncle of mine really does have a piece of the true cross (more like a splinter really) he has it encased in an eucharist-adoration thingy (Sorry, can’t remember what it’s called… anybody?) They both come with these beautiful old certificates of authenticity from the Vatican.
[/quote]

[quote=dumspirospero]Oh yeah…the word you are looking for is “monstrance”
[/quote]

Could be a lunette if he is talking about the little thing that holds the Blessed Sacrament that goes inside the monstrance. Just an FYI (plus, I have just been looking for an excuse to use that word since I finally learned what it was called :stuck_out_tongue: )

Eamon

I believe the word your looking for is Reliquary I’ve seen many (and even have one) that are shaped like Monstrances.

[quote=Brain]Paraphrase: You are bidding on the reliquary, the relic itself is a gift.

[/quote]

The Catholic priest on the BBC last night used the same loophole. He had collected thousands of relics. But honestly, he hadn’t bought any of them. They were all free gifts.

Doesn’t sound right to me, but maybe it is the letter of the law.

1st Class relics are often enclosed in a round metal case called a theca. The case has glass on the front for viewing the relic and a wax seal and threads on the back to seal the theca. Many thecas also have a metal cover over the back to protect the seal.

Thecas are often stored in an ornamental reliquary (made of metal or wood) for proper display purposes. The larger 1st class relics (like large bones or even bodies of the saints) are too big for a theca and are kept in special reliquary containers instead.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.