Ebola Fighters Are TIME’s Person Of The Year

msn.com/en-us/news/world/ebola-fighters-are-time%E2%80%99s-person-of-the-year/ar-BBgBnCZ?ocid=ansbusinessinsider11

Excerpt:

** Ebola Fighters Are TIME’s Person Of The Year **

Time has announced its Person of the Year for 2014.

The magazine awarded the coveted title to people fighting the deadly Ebola virus.

From the cover story:

"2014 is the year an outbreak turned into an epidemic, powered by the very progress that has paved roads and raised cities and lifted millions out of poverty. This time it reached crowded slums in Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone; it traveled to Nigeria and Mali, to Spain, Germany and the U.S. It struck doctors and nurses in unprecedented numbers, wiping out a public-health infrastructure that was weak in the first place. One August day in Liberia, six pregnant women lost their babies when hospitals couldn’t admit them for complications. Anyone willing to treat Ebola victims ran the risk of becoming one.

Sounds like the proper choice I would say!

I miss the days when Time’s “Person of the Year” was an actual person, rather than a group. As the 2006 “Person of the Year”, I think I speak with some authority on this issue.

But you tied with me

To take care of the sick is to do honor to God.

And me.

At least this is better than Ferguson or Vladimir Putin and when you think of the number if health care workers who have lost their life to fighting ebola I think it is ok.

Great choice in my opinion.
Mary.

A noble choice, but their appointment arguably contradicts Time’s own standards for selection, which is “the person who most affected the events of the year, for better or for worse.” Putin was an obvious choice.

True, but that award would just have encouraged him, wouldn’t it?

Good point!

Perhaps. However, if Time did a proper job of explaining why Putin’s actions were wrong, then it’s probably not something he would add to his resume. But I totally understand your point, and it’s a valid one.

Putin has already won the award before. I don’t know if the person of the year is often repeated. Just saying.

Despite what I said above, and upon further reflection, Putin probably should have won the award for dominating the headlines to such an extent.

ISIS has had more headlines than Putin if we go down that road. I know Time magazine does not always pick good guys, just the person who was in the news the most.

Not more than the Ebola fighters and especially those in that part of Africa. The TIME selection has a picture of a man appearing from from that part of Africa on the cover of the magazine.

Well here’s my brief for Vlad: ISIS is known (I think) for the barbaric way they torture and execute people in a backwater part of the world. Whereas Putin’s “great game” statesmanship has redrawn borders, de-stablilized Europe, and generally affected many more human lives.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.