Ebola plush toys fly off the shelf for Connecticut company

(Reuters) - It may be the only time you will find these words in the same sentence: “Ebola” and “Add to Wishlist.”

Giantmicrobes Inc., which makes a line of plush toys based on viruses and other microscopic organisms, has sold out its entire Ebola stock, including the small Ebola doll for $9.95, a Gigantic Ebola doll for $29.95 and an Ebola Petri Dish toy for $14.95, according to the company’s website.

“Since its discovery in 1976, Ebola has become the T. Rex of microbes,” says the Stamford, Connecticut-based maker of the “uniquely contagious toy” on its website, which promotes them as gag gifts that also have educational value.

reuters.com/article/2014/10/20/us-health-ebola-usa-toy-idUSKCN0I629S20141020

Thousands dead and this is still a joke…

What an odd profession to be in.

Ew…

It’s really is sickening: while some panic, others profit and preparedness remains a word in a textbook…

Exactly.

In my school, it is now funny to say “Oh you have ebola, or Ill give you ebola”. And people laugh. Umm…try laughing when you actually see hundreds of family and friends have their eyes melt out…then will they laugh?

Sometimes people laugh if they’re afraid or uninformed. Maybe your school can organize a learning session on Ebola. First step to being prepared, is being informed.

You know, that is a good idea!!!
They are not afraid. I am the one who is afraid. They are just misinformed.

That is a really good idea.

Is it right to have such fear? My classmates are ignorant but in a way I am no better because I am petrified in terror. Well, not even scared for my own life. Just insanely pessimistic. I am frankly sure this is the beginning of a big collapse of life as we know it…not to sound sensational, but what was conspiracy theory three months ago is now mainstream news. Heck, what was conspiracy theory A FEW WEEKS AGO is now mainstream news…

Unconscionable!

I heard an off joke, on TV, last week that could sum it up.

“Ebola’s getting really serious now - two white people have contracted it.”

Hmm…you seem to be forgetting the THOUSANDS of Africans who have died. That means this topic is really not a joke. UNLESS thousands of African lives is a joke to you, of course.

I don’t think pepipop actually believes this is funny; I think he was just repeating a “joke” that he heard to illustrate the inappropriate “humor” in which people are engaging

You obviously didn’t catch the ‘sarcasm’ intended in the ‘joke’. That was the entire point, thousands of black people have died, and it was making the point Ebola was only taken seriously after 2 white people contracted it.

It was stating that fact, Ebola was getting slight press whilst concentrated in Africa, and then hit the MSM headlines when it hit the West. It was a ‘joke’ with a ‘jag’, as they say.

Yes but he said my comment was unconscionable and I dont see how it was…

I am a she. I did not mean to infer ‘your comment’ was unconscionable I completely agreed with it. I meant the fact toys were being made of Ebola, was unconscionable.

Well I, as a good conspiracy theorist sensationalist have taken it seriously ever since I heard about it. I have been preparing ever since that.

Funny though. When I did that, people told me I was unreasonable for worrying about it, and now people say I was unreasonable for NOT taking it seriously then.

Oh sorry. And sorry for the misunderstanding then.

Nevermind.

No problem! :slight_smile:

I’m sure that businesses that cater to the survival crowd are making a tight profit, too.

Tasteless humor is a standard human response to horror. Gallows humor without a gallows.

No biggie.

ICXC NIKA

The website also offers plush toys of bubonic plague, black death, and breast cancer. Many more, but I couldn’t read further… Too disgusting.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.