Ebola Worst-Case Scenario Has More Than 500,000 Cases

The Ebola outbreak in West Africa could spread to hundreds of thousands more people by the end of January, according to an estimate under development by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that puts one worst-case scenario at 550,000 or more infections.

A nationwide three-day curfew in Sierra Leone entered its second day today as part of a government effort to stop the virus from spreading. During the lockdown, almost 30,000 volunteers go door to door to distribute soap and explain Ebola prevention measures.

bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-19/ebola-worst-case-scenario-has-more-than-500-000-cases.html

Does anyone remember when the Department of Homeland Security suggested that Americans have duct tape in a disaster preparedness kit? That was in February 2003. Duct tape and plastic would presumably seal one’s home against nuclear, chemical, and biological contaminants.

Duct tape is all I could think of when I read that soap is being distributed door to door to offset Ebola.

I am sorry I can’t add more at this time and I know I should. :imsorry:

Let’s hope it never gets to that.
Sometimes during the day I stop to think while I
am over here healthy there are hundreds over there suffering from ebola. I hope it never gets over 15, 000 deaths.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released a report Tuesday predicting as many as 550,000 to 1.4 million cases of the Ebola virus in Liberia and Sierra Leone alone, by the end of January.

foxnews.com/health/2014/09/23/who-forecasts-more-than-20000-ebola-cases-by-november-2/

The report is public. Praying for all those directly involved and those directly supporting comfort and/or recovery.

How in the world are they prepared to treat one million cases by the end of february?! They don’t even have enough beds for the thousands who are sick now. :confused:

I’ve read that some healthcare facilities locked doors indefinitely. Healthcare workers don’t want to get sick and die.

Last night I watched We Heard the Bells: The Influenza of 1918 (full documentary)youtube.com/watch?v=J83DZQcDFy8
Surprisingly, some lay workers caring one on one with flu stricken people never caught the flu.
If ebola or something equivalent hit US, I would definitely take a chance and care for another in need. I can’t see closing the door on someone who is sick and dying.

Honestly, I feel less than a crumb knowing Americans and others have so much and these poor people are suffering so greatly with little resources.

I know you are puzzled about healthcare for those suffering…you and many others.

It doesn’t help that they are stoning those attempting to help or that angry mobs break people out of quarantine.

Marie-Paule Kieny, told the Times over a telephone news conference that the two vaccines still need to undergo the first round of safety checks. The vaccines are expected to be ready to use by November, and health care personnel will be the first group to be vaccinated.

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.newseveryday.com%2Farticles%2F854%2F20140905%2Fa-vaccine-for-ebola-might-be-ready-by-november.htm&ei=FbAhVI3iDYqeyAS34oHoAg&usg=AFQjCNGl1Pd1FgpP4RUXTK5siE-gsUAX4w

I would love to see that documentary. I have read a couple of books on the 1918 flu epidemic and I think I saw a documentary on pbs once.
That was world wide! Some people might be immune to some of these viruses.I don’t see how they can close the doors when people are outside either.

This devastating widespread illness is similar to a tsunami. Fear and panic can and does ensue for some when death seems imminent.

These people are at the point of destruction while millions like myself must stay in place and rely on God as our source of love and guidance. My hope is that they too will place their faith in God. We all suffer together in this situation.

Christ gives the answer to the question about suffering and the meaning of suffering not only by his teachings but most of all by his own suffering. When Christ says ‘my God, my God why have you abandoned me’ his words express the suffering that is the estrangement from God. But precisely through the suffering he accomplishes the redemption. Human suffering has reached its culmination in the passion of Christ. At the same time, it has entered into a completely new dimension and a new order. It has been linked to love. In the cross of Christ, we must also pose a new question about the meaning of suffering and read in the cross, to its very depths, the answer to this question.

~ His Holiness John Paul II~

That isn’t a very feasible option for a variety of reasons:

1. No Ebola vaccine has undergone rigorous clinical trials so there’s no telling what the short-term or long-term risks are. Vaccines and other pharmaceuticals undergo years of clinical trials for a reason.

2. Research into strains of Ebola known prior to this outbreak isn’t useful in developing an effective vaccine for this strain.

3. The strain responsible for the current outbreak is rapidly mutating and has multiple variations. That means that even if a vaccine were to be successfully developed for one variation of this strain there is no guarantee that it would work on another variation of the same strain.

4. There is no possible way that we could produce and distribute enough of a vaccine to stop the outbreak even if the vaccine would protect against all variations of this strain.

The only way to stop the outbreak is containment.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.