Ebonics...

Oh man, I just have to ask the question …WHAT WILL CA THINK OF NEXT???

District to ‘affirm’ Ebonics
’It should be considered a foreign language’
8:26 p.m. Eastern

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

A school district in Southern California approved the “affirmation and recognition” of Ebonics into its curriculum as a way to help black students improve academic performance.

The San Bernardino Board of Education says a pilot of the policy, known as the Students Accumulating New Knowledge Optimizing Future Accomplishment Initiative, has been implemented at two city schools, according to the daily San Bernardino Sun.

Ebonics, a dialect of American English spoken by many blacks, was recognized as a separate language by the Oakland, Calif., school board in 1996.

Mary Texeira, a sociology professor at Cal State San Bernardino, believes the program will be beneficial to students.

"Ebonics is a different language, it’s not slang as many believe,’ Texeira told the Sun. “For many of these students Ebonics is their language, and it should be considered a foreign language. These students should be taught like other students who speak a foreign language.”

**Texeira acknowledged there are African Americans who disagree with her. **

**“They say that [black students] are lazy and that they need to learn to talk,” she said. **

The program, which will be implemented gradually, begins this fall when teachers receive training on black culture and customs. The district curriculum will include information on the historical, cultural and social impact of blacks in society.

Len Cooper, coordinator of the pilot program at the two city schools, said Ebonics won’t actually be incorporated into the program, because of its “stigma.”

“We are affirming and recognizing Ebonics through supplemental reading books for students,” he explained.

Although the program is aimed at black students, other students can choose to participate, the Sun reported.

Board member Danny Tillman told the paper he pushed for the policy because he hoped it would increase the number of black students going to college and participating in advanced courses.

But Teresa Parra, board vice president, worries other minority groups, including Hispanics, will want their own programs.

“**I’ve always thought that we should provide students support based on their needs and not on their race,” she said. **

Ratibu Jacocks, a member of a coalition of black activists – the Westside Action Group – said they are working with the district to ensure the policy is implemented appropriately.

“This isn’t a feel-good policy. This is the real thing,” said Jacocks.

He welcomes the idea of other ethnic groups lobbying for their own program. "When you are doing what’s right, others will follow,’ Jacocks said. "We have led the way before the civil-rights movement opened the door for women’s rights and other movements."
worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45334

O please!:rolleyes:

As long as the loony liberals get in power and have anything to do with the education system, blacks and minorities will always be last class citizens.

rinkworks.com/dialect/dialectp.cgi?dialect=jive&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.catholic.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D64980

word,
tee

Why is it that the liberals, who are so quick to embrace any and every crazy idea out there, end up in the real, practical world to be working against a real, true integration of minorities into the mainstream?

Proper diction and discourse has always been a sign of education, which in turn is a sign of intelligence well focused. To say that “ebonics” is not slang is so Alice in Wonderland that one doesn’t know where to begin. How does one have an intelligent conversation with the Red Queen?

Sociologists (if there are any honest ones left out there) may be able to attribute the causes of so many Afro-American males lack of focus in school, general perceived inability to succeed in standardized tests, and drop-out rate before high school graduation. I would suggest that the leading cause is the tremendous break down in the family structure, with so many mothers abandonded at or before birth of the child.

There have been study after study showing the need for children to be raised in a two parent family; the last time I looked at statistics blacks lead per capita ratios in out-of-wedlock births and abortions. And we wonder why the male youth reject the proven paths to a successful life, find solace in gang membership, and set up a subculture of peers.

Ebonics. Another way to keep 'em down on the farm…

Graduation speech -class of 2007
"Hey yo, knowwhati’m sayin’ we just happy to be here dawg, happy to be graduatin’ just chillin’ here at the ceremony with my posse, me and the boys.Lookin’ forward to spendin’ time with the fellas, after all this here learnin’ we done went through these past four years, But its all good dawg, its aight. we be lovin’ it, gonna work hard and go to collage,study hard, feelin’ good about myself, know whatim sayin? thank yawl for educatin’ me and the boyz, we just happy to be here, glad that we be graduatin’ today, yo. peace out, holla…"
Question. "Will there be job opportunities for translators?"
Truly sad, truly sad when native born Americans consider English a second language…setting themselves up to be strangers in their own land.

The black family is breaking down.Only 34% of marriage age are married. Roughly 70% of black children are raised in one parent homes, and black children have a low probability of reaching 18 within a two parent home. On top of these sobering statistics, so-called educators are trying to further marginalize black students by not taking the time to teach them standard english, which would give them the keys to the kingdom if mastered. Such an attitude is paternalistic and implies that these children do not have the capacity to articulate using the English common to the culture. Black parents should insists that their children receive a topnotch, rigorous education which should automatically include English grammar and literature. Ebonics may be a dialect, but this dialect like all others is subordinated to standard English and elevating it to the level of standard English does nothing more than further Balkanize the country; which if you think of it is really what the liberals want; borders, language, and culture = the weakening of the nation/state, the weakening of a common heritage, and the further radical individuation of mankind.

I live in San Bernardino and my older daughter attends a public high school here.

I agree that Ebonics is about the stupidest idea to come along in a while, but then San Bernardino is somewhat known for stupid ideas. For example, the city took out a lake to create land, (including a shopping mall with a parking structure on liquefaction in an earthquake prone area) and now want to take out land to put in a lake. When the Ebonics story hit our local paper, I perused it, certain that the women whose idea this was would call anybody who was against it prejudiced. She did not disappoint me.

The school district has already condemned many Hispanic kids to a lifetime of menial jobs by teaching them solely in Spanish.

Fortunately, my daughter is in the International Baccalaureate program, and from what I can see, it looks good–no dumbing down courses for her!

Ebonics be not foreign language but Cantonese be

whenever I make grammar mistakes, they turn out to be perfect Ebonics.

Teaching and using Ebonics in the School system will do one thing…Keep children from reaching their fullest potential.

I am currently pursuing a degree in English from the University of Maryland. I am taking courses through distance learning. This semester I have a class called Grammar, Diction, and Usage. The text books for this class all give examples of Ebonics-type language, spoken by African Americans, mostly, as being a legitimate form of the English language. They equate this type of grammar and diction to how a person from Germany or Poland might turn the language around, when trying to speak English.
The difference, as I see it, is that the people who speak in an Ebonics style grammar and diction are from…AMERICA!
The whole thing is ridiculous. And I am paying for this!
I just don’t get it. Why would someone want to choose illiteracy as an identity?

“Ebonics” is not simply people ignoring standard English rules of speech. It actually has its own set of rules which are adhered to. As such, you can legitimately call it a dialect of English. I would find it interesting to spend a class or two learning more about the proper rules of grammar for this dialect, and how they evolved, if I were an English major taking a specialized class like Jersey Jeepster. However, I’d be hard-pressed to make space for it in a high school curriculum, where the students are less mature, the public scrutiny is likely to politicize it, and few but the most advanced students really understand the parts of speech in standard English.

[quote=Jersey Jeepster]The difference, as I see it, is that the people who speak in an Ebonics style grammar and diction are from…AMERICA!
[/quote]

Actually, this would seem to make it a more useful topic of study here, as opposed to the dialects of English spoken in New Zealand or Sri Lanka.

[quote=Digitonomy]“Ebonics” is not simply people ignoring standard English rules of speech. It actually has its own set of rules which are adhered to. As such, you can legitimately call it a dialect of English. I would find it interesting to spend a class or two learning more about the proper rules of grammar for this dialect, and how they evolved, if I were an English major taking a specialized class like Jersey Jeepster. However, I’d be hard-pressed to make space for it in a high school curriculum, where the students are less mature, the public scrutiny is likely to politicize it, and few but the most advanced students really understand the parts of speech in standard English. Actually, this would seem to make it a more useful topic of study here, as opposed to the dialects of English spoken in New Zealand or Sri Lanka.
[/quote]

Would Pig Latin be included in your studies? Baby Talk? Charismatic utterances in tongues? :slight_smile:

Ebonics and Chinglish, which should be a foreign language and which should be a dialect?

[quote=kaymart]Teaching and using Ebonics in the School system will do one thing…Keep children from reaching their fullest potential.
[/quote]

Perhaps that is what this is all about…not allowing black kids to reach their full potential. Or could it be another stab at the goverment trying to “dummy up” the next generation??

[quote=Karin]Ebonics, a dialect of American English spoken by many blacks, was recognized as a separate language by the Oakland, Calif., school board in 1996.

Mary Texeira, a sociology professor at Cal State San Bernardino, **Texeira acknowledged there are African Americans who disagree with her. **

**“They say that [black students] are lazy and that they need to learn to talk,” she said. **

[/quote]

Other than sociologist, educators and politicians, are there any linguists that think it is a distinct language? Maybe we could have a theological point of view. It would make as much sense as a socialogical point of view.

If Ms. Texeia had any legitimacy at all, why the need to slander blacks that disagree with her? The sort of pandering she suggests is what assumes a lazy stereotype, not those who believe in integration and mainstreaming.

[quote=cecelia]Graduation speech -class of 2007
"Hey yo, knowwhati’m sayin’ we just happy to be here dawg, happy to be graduatin’ just chillin’ here at the ceremony with my posse, me and the boys.Lookin’ forward to spendin’ time with the fellas, after all this here learnin’ we done went through these past four years, But its all good dawg, its aight. we be lovin’ it, gonna work hard and go to collage,study hard, feelin’ good about myself, know whatim sayin? thank yawl for educatin’ me and the boyz, we just happy to be here, glad that we be graduatin’ today, yo. peace out, holla…"
Question. "Will there be job opportunities for translators?"
Truly sad, truly sad when native born Americans consider English a second language…setting themselves up to be strangers in their own land.
[/quote]

Fo’ shizzle in da hizzle.

So the San Bernardino Board of Education believes that a group of folks can evolve a new language, but are incapable of learning an existing one? If I gather a community of folks who lisp; will school districts eventually feel obligated to teach Lisponics?

It looks like San Bernardino Board of Education is saying: “We know you’re stupid and because we care so much about you; we will further dumb down your education to accomodate your lack of mental faculties”. Can you feel the love there people?

I have a recomendation for the San Bernardino Board of Education: Hire Bill Cosby.

[quote=cecelia]Question. “Will there be job opportunities for translators?” Oh sure…and the local school board and the NEA are hiring :smiley:
Truly sad, truly sad when native born Americans consider English a second language…setting themselves up to be strangers in their own land. Guess you didnt hear…America is a land where there is no NATIONAL language…heck the next town over from me all the store signs are in Korean…no English subtitles anywhere! Guess I am a stranger:(
[/quote]

Ebonics is a real language when the DMV (Dept. of Motor Vehicles) allows you to take the written test in it…Jersey should be there soon :slight_smile:

[quote=Wildgraywolf]So the San Bernardino Board of Education believes that a group of folks can evolve a new language, but are incapable of learning an existing one? If I gather a community of folks who lisp; will school districts eventually feel obligated to teach Lisponics?

It looks like San Bernardino Board of Education is saying: “We know you’re stupid and because we care so much about you; we will further dumb down your education to accomodate your lack of mental faculties”. Can you feel the love there people?

I have a recomendation for the San Bernardino Board of Education: Hire Bill Cosby.
[/quote]

And tax paying people are allowing it and better yet the teachers unions are not denouncing it…what does that tell ya???

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.