Ecclesia Dei

I am very confused by all the fuss over the SSPX. I thought the Latin Mass was approved to be said anywhere. I’ve read Ecclesia Dei and am wondering if there has been any subsequent rulings. Did this document refer only to Archbishop LeFebvre? Or to all clergy of the SSPX? Thank you in advance for your comments.

God Bless and Keep each of you.

:confused:

Ecclesia Dei is a document which a) procliams the excommunication of Abp. Lefebvre and b) asks the bishops to make the Mass of Pius V (Tridentine Mass) available on a wider basis. It does not permit the Tridentine Mass to be said everywhere – but does grant to local bishops the right to authorize its use.

In terms of the SSPX it is because of the actions of the SSPX that this permission is granted, but the SSPX does not, directly, benefit from it. Rather, the FSSP (Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter) was established as a “traditional order” permitted to celebrate the sacraments using the last forms prior to the Second Vatican Council.

Deacon Ed

It is also worth noting that the SSPX contends that permission from the local ordinary is NOT required in order to say the Mass of Pius V licitly, which the Holy See has said is not the case.

Also, in order for the SSPX to be rejoined with the Church, they must officially admit the validity of the Mass of Paul VI, which they don’t seem yet ready to do.

Adam

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.