Ecclesiastes is for THE BIRDS !!!

My girlfriend was reading Ecclesiates chapter 3 to me the other day and I swore I heard this somewhere before. The it hit me!
These were song lyrics to a famous song from the 60’s. I looked up the lyrics and sure enough the lyrics from the song “Turn, Turn, Turn” by The Birds is almost exactly the same as the beggining of Eccesiates chapter 3.

There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven

Ecclesiates 3

To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time for every purpose, under heaven

• lyrics from Turn, Turn, Turn

a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,

3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,

4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance.

Ecclesiates 3

A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep

To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time for every purpose, under heaven

A time to build up,a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn

• lyrics from Turn, Turn, Turn

I always thought that is where they got the lyrics from. What else could it be? I wonder how many people who have heard the song actually know where the words are from?

Annie

Groovy! Yes you are right and would you believe I have head it sung at Mass back in the 70s?

Unfortunately, I know all too well. Just as unfortunately I also know that Simon and Garfunkle didn’t write from scripture but I’ve heard them at Mass too.

You must be very young and not from an oldies-intensive part of the world to have not known about that, but yep, it’s their version of some Scripture.
I remember I had some friends whose theme song was “River of Babylon” and my bf at the time loved to sing it. He was very anti-Christian. I found it in the Bible and told him – he was very unhappy to learn that and looked for excuses why it was still not relevant that the song came from the Bible because he hated to believe he liked something from the Bible.
BTW, the Byrds all lived together according to someone I used to hang out with who lived downstairs from them, and he said they were just typical 60’s bikers. They were pioneers of chord progressions and effects that are now hallmarks of heavy metal, though they weren’t actually a metal group.

i feel your pain.

The Byrds made “Turn, turn, turn” a rock hit in 1965 but it was written by Pete Seeger (of the Weavers) in the 1950’s.

Paul

finally somebody of my generation (really old) who remembers the song and its origin. of course Paul is not really old, just a folk music buff. folk is what we had before motown, surfer music, and the beatles, and obviously we are also the generation who grew up to write the awful early post-V2 horrors that passed for hymns. mercifully most of them did not even make it into Gather, or even G&P

Pete Seeger wrote Ecclesiastes, Chapter 3??? :confused: Wow, and I thought Pete was just another communist wacko. :eek: :slight_smile:

You know something that’s occured to me - the song ‘Rivers of Babylon’ of course refers to the Babylonian exile of the people of Israel.

Thing is the passage used in the song is from one of the Psalms. Question is, if the Psalms were written by King David how did he write (in the past tense mind you) about a Babylonian exile that hadn’t happened yet? :hmmm:

Annie: I assume by V2 you meant WW II ?. Aren’t you being a little harsh? After all, that beautiful Christmas carol, Do You Hear What I Hear was written during the Cuban Missle Crisis. This generation (55+) has done a lot of really great things in music, worship, and the like. Too bad you don’t see it.

David didn’t write all the Psalms.

V2= Vatican 2. Not WW2.

Who are the Byrds ? (The only musical Byrd I can think of is the 16th-century Catholic William B. - the avian ones excepted that is).

Hello? Is there someone other than me in my time warp? Did you bring any food? I was just in the Middle Ages. I need to go to the Industrial Revolution tonight but I’m putting it off.
Most of the Byrds songs I can think of are Dylan songs. They really changed the rhythm of Mr. Tambourine Man., and I liked Dylan’s version better.
Dylan took his stage name from Dylan Thomas, of course. His original name was Robert Zimmerman. He was a Thomas fan. Dylan was 15 and wanted to make it in talking blues and similar folk styles so he hitched to NYC. He was in a time warp of his own, which was surprisingly timely. The Byrds were just one of the many groups to be inspired by him. He and the Beatles influenced each other back and forth for a long time. He borrowed many of his most remembered lyrics sraight form old folk songs. The opening lines of Subterrannean Homesick Blues are a riff on a Prohibition rhyme – Daddy’s in the basement, mixing up the hops, junior’s on the front steps watching for the cops.

Young Whippersnapper.

I bet you don’t even know who Lulu, Friends of Distinction, Freddy and the Dreamers or Zagar and Evans are.

You’ve probably also never hear “Ballad of the Green Berets”, “Judy in Disguise with Glasses”, or, my personal favorites, “Don’t Mess with Bill” and “Wedding Bell Blues”:smiley:

What songs by Simon and Garfunkle are from the bible?

Zagar and Evans? Be fair here, they’re a bit of a one-hit wonder, I don’t think many people who HAVE heard of them would know anything other than ‘In the year 2525’ :shrug:

Sounds of Silence and Bridge Over Troubled Waters :smiley:

Judy in Disguise with Glasses - John Fred and the Playboys. One did not grow up in south Louisiana much less live in Baton Rouge for the last thirty years without knowing this.

Who are the Byrds???

Infidel! :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.