ECFs and Peter as rock

Is it true that none of the Early Church Fathers interpret Matt 16:18 as Peter being the Rock?

I have a protestant quoting from Dave Hunt’s “The Woman Rides the Beast” :rolleyes: in a public forum and I want to defend the Catholic position before he leads anyone astray

Thanks

Peace be with you!

Just the fact that this person is quoting Dave Hunt should throw any argument they make into the trash…and tell them that. James White, the well-known Protestant apologist, even agreed with Jimmy Akin in a debate they were having that Dave Hunt’s “scholarship” was…well…poor, to say the least.

Start here:
catholic.com/library/Peter_Primacy.asp
then brouse through the other tracts on Peter and the papacy.

But if I were you, I would most definitely be sure to address the use of a Dave Hunt book as a source. Dave Hunt has no idea what the heck he’s talking about. Ask this person why they won’t consult a Church source…or even the Bible. Protestants always seem to consult anti-Catholic sources as their only source of information about the Church and you should definitely address that.

In Christ,
Rand

[quote=RichSpidizzy]Is it true that none of the Early Church Fathers interpret Matt 16:18 as Peter being the Rock?

I have a protestant quoting from Dave Hunt’s “The Woman Rides the Beast” :rolleyes: in a public forum and I want to defend the Catholic position before he leads anyone astray

Thanks
[/quote]

Oh gosh I have read probably two dozen documents of Church Fathers who all interpret Peter as the Rock.

<< I have a protestant quoting from Dave Hunt’s “The Woman Rides the Beast” in a public forum and I want to defend the Catholic position before he leads anyone astray >>

Dave Hunt’s main source for that point is Peter DeRosa who is not a patristics scholar. I would suggest doing a search in these forums for Peter, Rock, Fathers, etc. There are at least 20 good threads on that topic. Point out also the Catechism itself presents several interpretations, with Peter = Rock the primary one. St. Augustine had all views: Peter, Christ, Peter’s faith/confession, and Peter’s successors.

Also make sure you nail them with Protestant/Evangelical commentaries on Matthew 16. Plenty found here in my unfinished response to James G. McCarthy’s anti-Catholic book.

Phil P

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.