Ecumenical Committee

Hello, just looking for a bit of advice. I am a member of my College Campus Ministry Ecumenical Committee. An interdemoninational Christian group on campus asked us for our Campus Ministry mission statement to be given to other Christian groups on campus. The Board member who leads our ministry suggested, “Catholic Campus Ministries shares God’s love with all God’s children and the Catholic community in
particular through service, fellowship, and worship”.

I e-mailed him back saying I thought that to be a little vague and inadequate. My main suggestion was to make specific reference to our committment to worship of Christ in his physical presence in the Holy Eucharist. I’m afraid I’m not a very ecumenical person (kind of ironic that I’m on this committee) and I don’t much like making a description of the faith vague and general. Any ideas?

Be careful and steadfast. Sometimes ecumenical can simly mean generalised Christianity i.e.Christianlty - Catholicism.

If it is truly ecumenical it will strive for fulness of truth and unity in everything, and hence be open to all suggestions and points of interest. If they choose to leave out or ignore or even supress certain sections then we are dealing with false ecumenism.

[quote=Fergal]Be careful and steadfast. Sometimes ecumenical can simly mean generalised Christianity i.e.Christianlty - Catholicism.

If it is truly ecumenical it will strive for fulness of truth and unity in everything, and hence be open to all suggestions and points of interest. If they choose to leave out or ignore or even supress certain sections then we are dealing with false ecumenism.
[/quote]

I agree 100%, thats why I am trying to avoid presenting the Church in any general or vague terms.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.