Ecumenical Conference on the Eucharist

I was told by a devout Catholic friend of mine that the Pope has authorized an Ecumenical Conference on the Eucharist. He is fearful and angry that they will change the traditional meaning of the Eucharist with the input of many non-catholic religons. He is also an “old school” latin mass type who does not trust some of the bichops and the Pope to keep from being too ecumenical and scandalize the true faith. What do you think?

Jeff

I think there are things that should be discussed regarding the Eucharist and non-Catholic Christians. The true meaning of the Eucharist (my understanding) is that Christ is really and truly present in the Eucharist. I don’t expect that will change. That truth about our faith goes beyond the celebration of the Eucharist and includes Christians not currently in communion with Rome as well as non-Christians. If they have ideas about the Eucharist that presents stumbling blocks to their seeking full communion with Rome then I think it is worth time and effort to listen to their ideas and perhaps remove the stumbling blocks.

“That which divides us as believers in Christ is far less than that which unites us.” - John XXIII and John Paul ll

Also happens to be true.

peace

-Jim

Protestant here who is taking RCIA. I had struggled for years with my faith and “hard to reconcile” Scriptures. If you had told me a year ago that I would confess the Catholic Church as the one true Church, I would have responded the same way my Reformed pastor did to me when I told him I was converting. “Heretic, denier of the faith, hellbound, etc…etc.” Of course, since he was a fan of Augustine, I was constrained to throw him some evidently Catholic statements of the great Saint. In the end, I told him that if he were to call me a heretic, he would have to call Augustine a heretic… he had no suitable answer. The Catholic faith is the true faith and Christ reigns as King of Kings now and forever. Blessed be our Mother. :thumbsup:

Remove the stumblingblocks?? You cannot capitulate truth to allow deniers of the faith. Christ NEVER changed truth to help people “get along.” He didn’t hold an ecumenical council in John 6:66. Quite frankly, love does not compromise truth. As a matter of fact, you must love the Truth before you can love others. Sorry if I seem to rough, but doggone it! It’s time someone had some courage and fortitude in this age of compromise. :cool:

I think what he meant is not to remove truths, but simply expressing them in a more ecumenical way but without changing the essence. You know there are many way of saying the same thing, but onmes are nicer than others. I think he also means there are some non essential things, some which are not strictly part of the truths, which could be revised or even removed if necessary.

But of course the Truth will be hold as firmly as always.

I hope you find my post useful… :slight_smile:

Peace

[quote=chipusa]Remove the stumblingblocks?? You cannot capitulate truth to allow deniers of the faith. Christ NEVER changed truth to help people “get along.” He didn’t hold an ecumenical council in John 6:66. Quite frankly, love does not compromise truth. As a matter of fact, you must love the Truth before you can love others. Sorry if I seem to rough, but doggone it! It’s time someone had some courage and fortitude in this age of compromise. :cool:
[/quote]

Two verses before John 6,66 Jesus is said to know who will believe in him and who won’t. I have to admit that I don’t know that about a person when I am talking to them.

In other places, Jesus tries to reason with people who do not believe. Even those who accuse him of expelling Satan through the power of Satan, he asks them to consider how that can make any sense. Or if it is happening, than Satan is divided against himself.

Discussing the truth, listening to another person’s perception of truth and using words to redirect that person to truth, does not have to mean compromising the truth.

peace

-Jim

I understand. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not trying to say we don’t listen and try to grasp what the other side is saying. I am saying that when we hear them, we don’t soften what is hard to hear. Do you get what I’m talking about? :smiley: I just came to this faith by the understanding of the truth, but it had to be dictated to me as the truth and not something I could mould to my own thinking. I am so on your side, just protective of Christ and His Love. :thumbsup: Love you all.

[quote=chipusa]I understand. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not trying to say we don’t listen and try to grasp what the other side is saying. I am saying that when we hear them, we don’t soften what is hard to hear. Do you get what I’m talking about? :smiley: I just came to this faith by the understanding of the truth, but it had to be dictated to me as the truth and not something I could mould to my own thinking. I am so on your side, just protective of Christ and His Love. :thumbsup: Love you all.
[/quote]

There is validity in your concern. There is a balance that needs to be kept. It’s not that we need to soften (change) what is hard to hear but we can do something to - metaphorically speaking, prepare the ground in which the seed of God’s word is sown. There is a parable of a tree that the Master was going to cut down because it bore no fruit but a gardener said, “wait, let me cultivate and fertilize and see if it might yet bear fruit” We can be the gardener.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.