Ecumenical - Please Help!

Hello everyone and thanks for reading.

I have a dilemma. I’ve recently felt the need to start an ecumenical website called 1table.com. The idea behind the website was to bring Christians of all denomination and walks of life to one place where they would forget their differences and celebrate what they had in common. The center of this was the Lord’s table, which is open for us all. But this is the problem I’m currently facing in my conscience…

Fundamental differences in communion cannot be overlooked, even for a website such as this. The site will be article heavy, and I’ve already asked some ecumenical people to write articles for me. One of the articles is about how the Gospel is the unifying “thing” that brings us all together, which I like. But in future articles I would hate to ask someone to write something, but don’t mention any specifics like real presense or anything, as to not affend anyone.

I personally believe in the RC doctrine of Eucharist, and so I have a problem with open communion (that being open to people who don’t believe the same). This makes me feel divided because it is the opposite message (in nature) to that which I would be spreading on my website, 1table.com.

It is for that reason that I’m unsure whether or not I should go through with the site. I think that it’s message and mission will only get tainted by anger from those who don’t agree with something. I’m starting to think that a website cannot exist where everyone agrees about something.

I need your opinions, should I go through with it? Should I not? Should I hold off and think some more? What do you think of ecumenicism (not including eucharist, but in churches getting together to help others)?

Thank you so much. God Bless you all.
Bryan

I would think about it some more. The idea is neat, but putting it into practice is a lot tougher because there really are issues which divide denominations. If there are parts about your faith you are still shaky on, then perhaps investigating and praying on those aspects is more important at this point in time. In any case, I would say to pray on it.

Thank you so much. I will do just that, pray on it.

(btw, I was 1table.com, figured this name was more fitting)

While an ecumenical website sounds great, you might want to think of a new name, considering that Catholics don’t really believe that Protestants share the same table. Maybe 1Savior or 1Cross or something like that. I don’t know. And you will have to watch out for doctrinal compromise…

(formerly 1tabledotcom)

Yes, true.

I’ve spoken with RockAndHoops on AIM and have realized that such a website could never function without me stepping on eggshells again and again.

It is for that reason that I have decided to suspend the idea and think over what else I could do instead. It’s too easy to offend someone, even when you aren’t trying to.

Thanks and God Bless.

St. Curious,

I think you should go ahead and not worry about offending people. If we wait till we’re sure we won’t offend, we will never accomplish anything. I for one would be happy to contribute to your website. I agree that “one table” is a bit ironic, since your Communion does not allow Protestants to share Eucharist with you (for reasons I understand and respect). You might look for another title perhaps, like “One Baptism.”

Ecumenism only works if it frankly acknowledges differences and doesn’t try to paper them over. What we have in common is far more important than what separates us. But the tragedy is that often what separates us seems to us (to each of the separated groups, that is) to be a necessary consequence of what unites us. We can’t get around this. There can be no unity at the expense of truth. But unity is still a non-negotiable requirement. We need to be willing to do the hard work of ecumenism with courage and honesty. I think a website such as the one you envisage would be an excellent step in the right direction, and I would be glad to offer you any support and help in my power.

In Christ,

Edwin

[quote=Contarini]St. Curious,

I think you should go ahead and not worry about offending people. If we wait till we’re sure we won’t offend, we will never accomplish anything. I for one would be happy to contribute to your website. I agree that “one table” is a bit ironic, since your Communion does not allow Protestants to share Eucharist with you (for reasons I understand and respect). You might look for another title perhaps, like “One Baptism.”

Ecumenism only works if it frankly acknowledges differences and doesn’t try to paper them over. What we have in common is far more important than what separates us. But the tragedy is that often what separates us seems to us (to each of the separated groups, that is) to be a necessary consequence of what unites us. We can’t get around this. There can be no unity at the expense of truth. But unity is still a non-negotiable requirement. We need to be willing to do the hard work of ecumenism with courage and honesty. I think a website such as the one you envisage would be an excellent step in the right direction, and I would be glad to offer you any support and help in my power.

In Christ,

Edwin
[/quote]

This, frankly, is not what the original poster described. It was to be a site to FORGET differences, not another apologetic site that really only highlights them. There’s a million and one of those out there already.

To the original poster,

If you’re going to make it “article based”, unless you have no problem posting the viewpoints of all Christians, you’re really only going to add fuel to the fire, so to speak, in that you’ve just started your very own Catholic apologetics site.

If you want to make yet another apologetics site, then do so, but don’t do it under the guise of “forgetting differences.” You’ll only be fooling yourself.

However, that being said, there is a TON of stuff in the Gospels, and other Books, that teaches us how to LIVE. Some people would have any religious board argue the finer points of theology, but it needn’t be that way. Love, kindness, and compassion are universal traits, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with emphasizing those.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.