Ecumenism

I asked a question in bible study class about how much someone should try to share their faith with someone who was atheist, or worse. The response was that you should stay away, that the fear is that the ‘evil’ will affect you…that you should leave their conversion in God’s hands, because of the fear that our faith may be shaken in the process. I was told this was stated in the Bible in several different places, and made quite clear.

Then I read an article on how Mormonism started, and watched a movie on how Luther was inspired to start his church. I realized that it is very possible that although they may have believed the supernatural things that happened to them were from God…according to what I believe- I see it as the devil deceiving them in his most cunning of ways. It seemed both, at the beginning were doing things for what they thought were the right reasons, and what they were being ‘told’ or the visions they were seeing, weren’t too far off …but then when you see how distant they became in many things, it makes me think of how some people will say the devil will allow a little good if it serves his greater purpose in the end. To me it seems they were both led astray by him.

So then it got me thinking of the Catholic Church, and how it seems that ecumenism is our goal lately. Doesn’t the same hold true on this large scale as it does on my small scale? Is it really following God’s word to try to keep an open dialogue with these other non- catholic religions in the hopes of finding a common ground? Or is it really more dangerous to our faith in the sense that in communicating with this dialogue we may very well end up compromising our beliefs that have been handed down through the centuries for us to Follow, Believe, and Practice? NOt that we should seem pompous…but if we know that we hold the fullness of the Truth…aren’t we better to ensure that we keep that, and let them come to us. Set an example, but don’t compromise…

Does Ecumenism follow God’s word in the Bible, or is it something that we are warned to stay away from? Yes we are to love our neighbor…but I don’t believe it says anywhere that in doing so one should compromise their own beliefs to be accepted by them.

These are just some thoughts and questions that are bothering me. I’m not saying my thinking is right…I’m just looking for someone to help me understand.

[quote=tossolul] So then it got me thinking of the Catholic Church, and how it seems that ecumenism is our goal lately.

Is it really following God’s word to try to keep an open dialogue with these other non- catholic religions in the hopes of finding a common ground?
[/quote]

Well, we have to be ready to give an answer for the hope that is in us etc…

Or is it really more dangerous to our faith in the sense that in communicating with this dialogue we may very well end up compromising our beliefs that have been handed down through the centuries for us to Follow, Believe, and Practice? NOt that we should seem pompous…but if we know that we hold the fullness of the Truth…aren’t we better to ensure that we keep that, and let them come to us. Set an example, but don’t compromise…

1 Peter 3:8 --> We “must turn from evil and do good, seek peace and follow after it. For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears turned to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against evildoers.”

The Church’s mission is to be Apostolic. We have a responsibility to share our Faith with others. If they refuse to listen, it is okay to leave, “shaking the dust off our feet” as we go.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.