ECUSA's Leader: Homosexuality Not a Choice

headlines.agapepress.org/archive/11/22006a.asp

I can now see why Paul said for women to be silent in Church, this woman is an apostate and is leading her flock to a precipice.
-H.L. Hanna

BALONEY, Jesus not the only way ? :ehh:

Jesus is the ONLY WAY.

**John 14:5 **Thomas saith to him: Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the **way? **

6 Jesus saith to him: I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me.

These Liberal churches that have fallen this far should be whipped with a wet squirrel!
It won’t be long before the Episcies make the Unitarians look like a strict Christian sect at the rate they are going.
WP

Actually, to say that “homosexuality is not a choice” is consistent with Catholic theology.

If she had said, “homosexual acts are not a choice,” then you would make a Catholic argument against her.:thumbsup:

I would say that homosexual orientation is not a choice…

but to act on it is a choice.

I think I remember reading your catechism on this once…but i forget the words now :slight_smile:

“If we insist we know the one way to God,” she said, “we’ve put God in a very small box.”

Good for her.

big deal. that can and has been interpeted by christians and catholics in such a way as to allow people of all faiths to find “the way” whether or not they are actually praying to Jesus.

Perhaps from a nonChristian viewpoint, however, she is supposedly a “bishop” in a religion that teaches, very clearly throughout its history, something just a little different than that.

[quote=Valke2]big deal. that can and has been interpeted by christians and catholics in such a way as to allow people of all faiths to find “the way” whether or not they are actually praying to Jesus
[/quote]

I really don’t feel like arguing this with you, but liberal interpretations don’t make sense, IMO, in like of Christ’s command to peach His Gospel to the world. Other verses are even more clear, if memory serves me. If you feel like making an issue out of it, I’ll try to dig them up for you. Peace.

Again, I have heard many christian teachings that echo what she said.
If everyone here says I’m wrong, then I’m wrong. But I was told on another thread that Christians believe that even if one does not worship in a way that acknolwedges Jesus as GOd, they can still live in a “way” that leads to heaven. That to do so is what Jesus meant by “I am the way”

Valke2 i think you are talking about those who NEVER knew about Jesus yet lived a life that parallels His teachings.

I always thought that anyone who did know of Him…

Joh 6:35 -
Then Jesus said, "I am the bread of life. No one who comes to me will ever go hungry. And no one who believes in me will ever be thirsty.

Joh 11:25 -
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even if he dies.

Joh 12:44 -
Then Jesus cried out, "Anyone who believes in me does not believe in me only. He also believes in the One who sent me.

Joh 12:46 -
"I have come into the world to be a light. No one who believes in me will stay in darkness.

Pray for the TEC, pray for them indeed! While I do not believe that if one isnt Christian they are damned (the church does not teach this) this woman’s statements are highly contradictory to the general Will of our Lord.

Exactly, 1 Corinthians 14:33-35 is pretty clear on that sort of thing.

Yet I would contest that whoever ordained that woman and probably the person who ordained that person was an apostate too, depends if it even was slightly close to a real ordination in the first place.

God Bless
Scylla

Yes, ordaining a woman automatically makes you an apostate.
It appears to me the ECUSA is now on the verge of becoming more of a Politically Correct Feel Good Club rather than a Christian Church.
A shame indeed.
WP

It is certianly possible that the posts I recall were more the opinion of the poster than Christian theology. But I thought that, for example, a Jew who lives a righteous live, prays to God, etc., even though he or she never mentions Jesus, would still find salvation according to some christian beliefs (I don’t know if it is a Catholic teaching).

here’s a summary : we KNOW that Jesus is the way. We are NOT SURE about those who do not hold this as true and we leave it to God’s mercy.

Ok N/A Valke2, so people can pray and worship the golden calf and still be acceptable to God ? LOL
inJesus** actually hit the nail on the head in post #10, and saying big deal, as in NO BIG DEAL is basically saying to Jesus ,that His words are NO BIG DEAL.

I’m curious as to why you (like many other conservatives) choose that particular phrase to summarize the PB-elect’s heterodoxies. As someone else pointed out on this thread, the proposition that people don’t generally choose to have a homosexual orientation is not contrary to Christian orthodoxy. In fact, I’d claim that it is a simple piece of observation. That does not mean that no one chooses to experiment with same-sex activity when they could find fulfillment elsewhere; nor does it mean that a person of homosexual orientation has to give in to those desires.

But when conservatives appear to pin their case on the notion that homosexuals choose to live a dangerous and generally stigmatized lifestyle out of sheer perversity when they could quite easily be happy heterosexuals, they make the conservative position a laughing-stock.

The problem with +Jefferts-Schori’s view of homosexuality isn’t the proposition that homosexuality is not a choice, but the deduction that if it isn’t a choice it must be part of God’s creative plan. In other words, her real heresy is Pelagianism–the denial of original sin. She doesn’t even entertain the possibility that people might have (indeed that all people do have) desires and inclinations that they have not personally chosen but are nonetheless sinful. This in the face of evidence just as obvious as the evidence for the “non-chosen” nature of most homosexuality. In other words, there are propensities (sexual and otherwise–pedophilia is the most obvious example but it’s not the only one) that people have that are obviously not chosen by them, but are nonetheless sinful and must be resisted at all costs.

That is the point at issue between orthodox Christians and liberals like +Jefferts-Schori. And I don’t understand why conservative Christians keep chasing this red herring of homosexuality being a “choice.” For someone who believes in original sin, it really doesn’t matter. And as G. K. Chesterton said, original sin is the one Christian doctrine that can really be proved.

Edwin

Bravo, Edwin, you state the Roman Catholic Church’s actual teaching quite well. Come, brother, the fellowship is good this side of the Tiber…when we’re not at each other’s throats over the liturgy, anyway.

This poor women has clearly fallen and is being deceived by the lies of the Devil. She definately needs many prayers. It’s ashame that she is in such a position of leadership and could further mislead so many of Christ’s sheep:( .

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.