EDIT: Blessing of cemeteries on All Souls Day?

Blessing cemetaries on all saints day

My church does that. (Although, I thought it was on All Soul's Day - better check my bulletin for clarification before it's too late :o)

What is your question?

I know in the archdiocese that I Live in everything is done on all souls Day and they go out to the Catholic cemetary

Blessing of the cemetaries is probably on all souls day. My question is why do we bless cemetaries? What is this Catholic tradition based on.
thanks...
Pierre

[quote="Pierre1945, post:4, topic:303596"]
Blessing of the cemetaries is probably on all souls day. My question is why do we bless cemetaries? What is this Catholic tradition based on.
thanks...
Pierre

[/quote]

The cemetery is blessed because it is the resting place of the human bodies, who were once living human beings and as such images of God; and according to Church tradition will be such again.

ICXC NIKA

We are having morning mass at the cemetery and the priest will be blessing the graves of all Catholics buried there. Should be a very interesting morning.

[quote="GEddie, post:5, topic:303596"]
The cemetery is blessed because it is the resting place of the human bodies, who were once living human beings and as such images of God; and according to Church tradition will be such again.

ICXC NIKA

[/quote]

Hello there GEddie!
Rather than according to Church tradition I believe that would be according to Sacred Scripture. "For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his." Rm 6:5
"If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will give life to your mortal bodies also through his Spirit who dwells in you." Rm 8:11
See also 1 Cor 15:21, 42; Phil 3:11.
Have a great day!

Hoo Boy this thread seems to get closer and closer to my question that never seems to get answered---Why are Catholics to be (if at all possible)buried in consecrated ground and are there any scriptures that state so??????

Anyone please???

Maybe that would be a good question for the apologetics forum? I’m not entirely sure of the answer myself, but if you don’t mind that I derail this a bit for a rant? :o

At a pet cemetary nearby, there was a ceremony today to re-inter sled dogs who had been euthanized. (The entire issue was really less horrific than the SPCA and the media made out) I was bemused that they co-opted All Soul’s Day for this ceremony (maybe not on purpose). They invited the public to join in to “pay their respects”. I’m all for treating animals well but I don’t think we need to equate them at the same level as actual human beings whose cemetaries are being blessed today.

Anyway, thank you for listening. :slight_smile: It’s something I was thinking about for the last few days.

I did asked in late August/early September in the aplogetics forum and have not received an answer yet. Thanks

At my church/cemetery we have an All Hallows' Eve Mass and All Saints' Day Mass - not sure why the New Orleans area is real big on blessing the graves on All Saints instead of All Souls but everyone prepares the graves/tombs before 11/1 and fresh flowers are always placed. We have one of the oldest cemeteries in Louisiana and it is beautiful when all the candles are lit on All Hallows. This has been done yearly since 1997 and we all enjoy it. We place the names of all the veterans that we are aware of buried in our cemetery - approximately 260 right now and thank them for the service they gave America.

[quote="horselvr, post:8, topic:303596"]
Hoo Boy this thread seems to get closer and closer to my question that never seems to get answered---Why are Catholics to be (if at all possible)buried in consecrated ground and are there any scriptures that state so??????

Anyone please???

[/quote]

I'm not familiar with any Scripture that directly says Catholics are to be buried in consecrated ground, however, I think the reason they are is found in Scripture.
We have been baptized into Christ's death that we might experience a resurrection like His (Rm 6:3-5).Our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor 3:16-17 and 2 Cor 6:16) and at the resurrection of the dead will remade to be like Christ's glorified body (Phil 3:20-21).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.