EDITED: Is it okay to confess directly to our Lord and receive Eucharist except in the case of mortal sins?

Hi all,

I hope I have posted this question in the right place. If not anyone please let me know the right place so that I can move this question to appropriate place.

My question is regarding sacrament of reconciliation. I love going to confessions regularly and receiving Eucharist. I consider it as a powerful sacrament.

I wish to know that is it okay to confess directly to our Lord and receive Eucharist than directly confessing to a priest, except in the case of mortal sins? I know it doesn’t sound catholic. Many times I feel the priest who conducts confession doesn’t have the patience to listen to me in detail. He just wants to hear it as soon as possible and move on.

I feel it comfortable in confessing directly to our Lord as I can do it in my own pace and time and can talk to him in detail, concentrate properly since many times there will be lots of disturbances in church.

Moreover I would like to know the difference between mortal and venial sins, I am still confused in that area.

Yes, venial sins are forgiven in any ways, including the Kyrie/Act of Contrition at the start of Mass.

If you feel a particular priest is not listening to you in the confessional, you may always try another priest or parish for confession.

Confession times at most parishes are extremely limited, unfortunately, so priests are not able to spend more than a few minutes per person.

If you feel you need more time than that, to include spiritual counseling, you can always make an appointment to see a priest for a 20-30 minute confession/counseling session.

I knew that attending Mass meant that your venial sins were forgiven but didn’t know which part. It makes sense.

:thumbsup:

Although it is absolutely correct that venial sins are forgiven outside the confessional in various ways, it is good to also remember the specific graces that are obtained through the Sacrament of Reconciliation, so I would urge you to keep going regularly -in imitation of the saints!
God bless
www.divinemercypopes.com

The Catechism of the Catholic Church has all the answers.

I’ve heard this many times in popular parlance, but I’ve never seen it substantiated with reference to Church documents. Do you know where this idea comes from?

Receiving the Eucharist wipes away venial sins, anyway (CCC 1394). So it’s somewhat a moot point. But still, I would like to be accurate about it. If anyone has a citation for where this idea comes from, I’d like to know so I can be better informed.

I think it requires a proper examination of conscience. Those sins forgiven at the start of mass are those for which we ask forgiveness. That is why we are told to “call to mind” our sins. Or so I have been told.

are venial sins still forgiven if the priest does not include the act of contrition out loud?? At my parrish, we never say the act of contrition but go right to the Kyrie? What’s up with that? I remember saying the act of contrition at every mass when I was younger and when I visit other parrishes they mostly say the act of contrition…

We never say an Act of Contrition (don’t forget, there isn’t THE Act of Contrition as in the one and only version) in our parish either. I suppose saying Lord have mercy/Kyrie Eleison comes to the same thing, though.

I think you mean the Penitential Rite.

The priest’s words at the end are an absolution of venial sin.

May almighty God have mercy on us,
forgive us our sins,
and bring us to everlasting life.

You might see some people cross themselves at those words. It is a pious custom done when receiving an absolution.

In Form A of the Pentitential Rite “I confess to Almighty God…”, the Kyrie follows the Absolution.

In Form C, the Kyrie is included, and therefore the Absolution follows.

Actually we refer to them as “receiving the sacraments.” Both (inter alia) are needed to remit the punishment (through a plenary indulgence) due to all sin.

I’m going to try to not sound condescending, but I want to make this simple and clear; venial sins are not “absolved” as in sacremental confession by the priest in what is called the Penitential Rite of the Mass. A person is absolved of venial sins by being present and praying the Mass which the PR is part of. It all about the Eucharistic celebration; to participate is to give God praise and thanksgiving, then to receive Him in the Eucharist. All portions of the Mass are important.

The Penitential Rite is about calling to mind our sins and examining our conscience, it is not confession. If you notice the words the priest says in the Mass you will notice he includes himself in the prayer for forgiveness;

In red the rubric reads “The absolution by the Priest follows:”

“May almighty God have mercy on US, forgive US OUR sins, and bring US to everlasting life.”

Again, the sins which are venial only, are forgiven by worshiping God and giving Him thanksgiving at Mass. The Penitential Rite should provoke us to examine our consciences further and discern whether we are worthy to receive or if we need sacramental confession before receiving. All of us walk in to Mass with venial sin and walk out washed by the Blood of the Lamb. In the cases of grave matter, freely choosing to sin, and when we are fully aware of this; we should refrain from receiving the Lord in the Eucharist.

The way the OP put it, to “confess directly to the Lord”, basically is what the Penitential Rite is. It is a calling to mind our sins before the Lord and offer them up to Him; so yes, venial sins can be offered to the Lord in Mass.

I’m not expressing in a good way what I am trying to say. I’ll be back later to see the conversation. I have a meeting to get to.

Yes venial sins can be forgiven in many ways…such as praying the Our Father etc.

And we ought to seek such forgiveness each day -often even! :slight_smile:

Confession too is very good and particular in the grace:

1458 Without being strictly necessary, confession of everyday faults (venial sins) is nevertheless strongly recommended by the Church.59 Indeed the regular confession of our venial sins helps us form our conscience, fight against evil tendencies, let ourselves be healed by Christ and progress in the life of the Spirit. By receiving more frequently through this sacrament the gift of the Father’s mercy, we are spurred to be merciful as he is merciful

scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c2a4.htm#VII

Isn’t this contradictory?

In a sense yes. That’s what I meant by not expressing my thoughts correctly.

In confession we receive absolution from the priest in the name of Jesus Christ. In the Mass we receive absolution together with the priest through the communal action of the Church in celebrating the Eucharist, the Eternal Sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

Let me ask a question which may help make my point. If I come in late to Mass, and I miss the Penitential Rite and the prayer of absolution of the priest, will my venial sins be forgiven through my worth participation in the Eucharist and receiving Communion?

Let’s think about communion services conducted by deacons. Are venial sins forgiven by worthily participating in the Liturgy of the Word then worthily receiving Communion?

The answer to both of these questions is yes.

We tend to place much more attention to the PR and not enough on the Mass as an entirety.

Am I making my point better? Probably not…:smiley:

This link might help with an explanation
zenit.org/en/articles/efficacy-of-the-penitential-rite

Bravo Fr. David, bravo!

A: This subject is clearly addressed in No. 51 of the General Instruction of the Roman Missal:

“Then the priest invites those present to take part in the Act of Penitence, which, after a brief pause for silence, the entire community carries out through a formula of general confession. The rite concludes with the priest’s absolution, which, however, lacks the efficacy of the Sacrament of Penance.”

It is a prayer of absolution, but it is not absolution as in the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

Absolutely.

Talk to God and ask forgiveness for all your sins. All sins are equally offensive to God. Pray with your heart, you don’t need standard prayers. Tell God what what you did, that you are sorry. If you are truly sorry, you’ll be forgiven. Remember that after you’ve confessed to God, the sins are forgiven and FORGOTTEN!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.