EDITED: Sinful to deliberately miss Sunday Mass?

Is it a mortal sin to intentionally not to go to Mass on Sunday’s?

Is it a mortal sin to intentionally not to go to Mass on Sunday’s?

It is grave matter for mortal sin. “Intention” could mean “I’m not going because I’m feeling ill”, to “I’m not going because I don’t feel like it”, as two examples. Obviously legitimate illness excuses one from going to Mass. Just not feeling like it does not.

One of the precepts of the Church is to attend Mass on Sundays and holy days. One of the commandments is to keep the Lord’s day holy. That means there’s a serious obligation to attend Mass.

You’re excused from this obligation for serious reasons such as illness or needing to care for someone who is ill.

If you ignore the obligation you’re dealing with something serious or grave.

To commit a mortal sin requires three things: grave matter, knowledge that it’s something serious, and the decision to do it anyway. Your confessor can help you determine if your particular instance of missing Mass was a mortal sin or not.

Although SuscipeMedomine, has answered you correctly, in a nutshell, the answer is YES. It is a mortal sin to intentionally not go to Sunday Mass.

Well said.

OP, if you can’t get to Mass (you lack transportation, you are very ill, etc) then your obligation is waived. Neither the Church nor God demand the impossible. If you accidentally forget, then your fine also. If you just decide to blow off the obligation, then yes, it would be a mortal sin. But always remember, mortal sin is washed away by confession. Christ is always willing to give us another chance! :thumbsup:

Why is a holy day of obligation classed as mortal sin if one doesn’t attend mass. The day is not the sabbath, it is chosen as a holy day by the church? Is it because its an obligation set by the church? and so to disobey church teaching, would mean one is in mortal sin?
We have a holy day of obligation moved to a sunday because hardly anyone observes the holy day any more…

Hope the question makes sense!

Yes and Holy days of obligation.

Correct.

Catechism

“For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor. Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.”

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c1a3.htm#II

(grave sin there means mortal sin).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.