Editor’s note on day one of ‘Crux 2.0’

From John Allen:

Today marks the first day of Crux’s new partnership with the Knights of Columbus, after 18 months as a site sponsored by The Boston Globe. Internally, we’ve been referring tongue-in-cheek to our new incarnation as “Crux 2.0”, and above all else I want to thank our readers for sticking with us during this transition.

If we did this right, most of you won’t have noticed any dramatic changes today.

We’re still breaking news, such as our exclusive first interview with the Vatican’s new anti-sex abuse expert, Teresa Kettelkamp, a former Illinois police colonel and then head of the U.S. bishops’ child protection office. I’ve also got an analysis unpacking why it’s a welcome bit of good news for Pope Francis on the sex abuse front.

We’re still featuring exclusive pieces by some of the most influential voices in the Catholic conversation, such as today’s contributions by Archbishop Mark Coleridge of Brisbane, Australia; Carolyn Woo, president of Catholic Relief Services; and Tom Williams, a Rome-based theologian and commentator on religion and Catholic affairs (not to mention one of the city’s finest mixologists, but that’s for another time).

We’re also still providing a selection of the best coverage from other news agencies, such as the Associated Press, Catholic News Service, Catholic News Agency, and Religion News Service, and we’re still hosting advertising about a wide variety of events, products, and services.

Over the next few days, we have more in the pipeline: Terrific pieces from two names already familiar to Crux readers, Fr. Dwight Longenecker and Austen Ivereigh; a newsmaker interview with Cardinal Timothy Dolan of New York; fresh examples of the routinely spectacular Vatican reporting by our own Inés San Martín; my analysis of Catholic goings-on, and more.

cruxnow.com/church/2016/04/01/editors-note-on-day-one-of-crux-2-0/

Crux is now under new ownership

I hope they continue to do well. We need sources of Catholic information outside the mainstream media.

I did not know about this site. Thanks.

does this mean they will finally become more orthodox and finally be more like the National Catholic Register or will they still continue to be more like the National “Catholic” Reporter?

That was my thought too. I always thought of them as Reporter lite; all the dissidence, but half the vitriol. The statement that you shouldn’t notice a difference seems to imply that they will still lean left, but who knows. I’m fine with CNS, the Register, Zenit and other solidly orthodox outlets.

Here is their mission statement:

*Welcome to Crux! We’re an independent Catholic news site, operated in partnership with the Knights of Columbus.

We hope you’ll find the site lively, engaging, topical, and thoughtful.

Crux strives to cover the worldwide institution of the Catholic Church, from the papacy to the hierarchy to local dioceses. We’ll explore the theology, doctrine, liturgy, practices, and traditions of Catholicism in the context of the life of modern-day Catholics, giving full voice to disagreements and challenges facing the Church and Catholics.

We’re committed to balance and fairness, striving to build a “Catholic commons” in which believers of different outlooks, backgrounds, and experiences can come together to build friendships and exchange views.

Finally, we hope you’ll join in to help us build an engaged community of Catholics and non-Catholics alike who come here to comment on current events and discuss social, theological, ethical, and spiritual issues.*

cruxnow.com/about/?p1=HotTopics_About%20Crux

Yeah. Nothing about being faithful to the Magisterium of the Church, and instead talking about upholding “different outlooks and backgrounds” equally.

They aren’t a Church publication nor an opinion site. They are a news site in the USA. They are suppose to be at least somewhat objective.

Echo chambers are fun to read, but you miss a lot if you only read them. That is how a lot of people were surprised a few years ago when the Democrats took over congress and Obama was elected.

Thanks for the update,Gilliam.

Ok then. They should be faithful to the Magisterium in their presentation of the news. I don’t see how that isn’t being objective, particularly when the Magisterium is the one teaching the objective truth.

They can certainly portray the opinions of the heterodox, dissenters, etc. They can let them write what they believe. But they shouldn’t be portrayed as being equally valid. They’re not.

Perhaps the more accurate term would be a “secular site that focuses on Catholic issues.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.