Education And Money Attract A Mate; Chastity Sinks In Importance

Men are increasingly interested in an educated woman who is a good financial prospect and less interested in chastity. Women are increasingly interested in a man who wants a family and less picky about whether he’s always Mr. Nice Guy.

That’s according to a study by University of Iowa sociologists Christine Whelan and Christie Boxer. They analyzed results of a 2008 survey of more than 1,100 undergraduates at the UI, the University of Washington, the University of Virginia and Penn State University, comparing the results to past mate-preference studies.

Since the 1930s, researchers have been asking college students to rank a list of 18 characteristics they’d prefer in a mate from “irrelevant” (0) to “essential” (3), allowing for a comparison of mate preferences dating back three generations. And my, how times have changed: Today’s young adults rank love and attraction as most important; a few generations ago it didn’t even make the top three.

sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090205182737.htm

This makes me sad. But it certainly supports the idea that living an authentic Catholic faith is counter-cultural.

I wonder. :hmmm: Why is chastity not so important (to those in the study, overall) when it was more important before?

Maybe nowadays no one believes that you can find a chaste person to marry, so it is low on the survey’s list, but they still value it? Or do you suppose it is an actual liability, in the view of some?

Chastity would be less important to me than FAITHFULLNESS. What’s done is done, but if your spouse can’t be faithfil to you and the marriage, keep looking.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.