Education experts blast DOJ's apparent call for race-based system of punishment of schoolkids

“Schools … violate Federal law when they evenhandedly implement facially neutral policies and practices that, although not adopted with the intent to discriminate, nonetheless have an unjustified effect of discriminating against students on the basis of race,” read the letter. “Examples of policies that can raise disparate impact concerns include policies that impose mandatory suspension, expulsion, or citation (e.g., ticketing or other fines or summonses) upon any student who commits a specified offense — such as being tardy to class, being in possession of a cellular phone, being found insubordinate, acting out, or not wearing the proper school uniform.”ctices that, although not adopted with the intent to discriminate, nonetheless have an unjustified effect of discriminating against students on the basis of race,” read the letter. "Examples of policies that can raise disparate impact concerns include policies that impose mandatory suspension, expulsion, or citation (e.g., ticketing or other fines or summonses) upon any student who commits a specified offense — such as being tardy to class, being in possession of a cellular phone, being found insubordinate, acting out, or not wearing the proper school uniform.”

foxnews.com/us/2014/01/10/education-experts-blast-obama-administration-call-for-race-based-punishment/

From the article- “The letter, which was sent to all public schools, said even well-intentioned policies are discriminatory if they end up being applied in greater proportion to minority children.”

So if a school has a zero tolerance policy for gum chewing and 10 students (the only students chewing gum at school that day) get in trouble for gum chewing its apparently discrimination if 5 or more of those students are minorities? What a load of …

Here’s a quote that I think fits:

“Refusing to human life any sacred or spiritual character, such a doctrine logically makes of marriage and the family a purely artificial and civil institution…therefore, the notion of an indissoluble marriage-tie is scouted…Communism is particularly characterized by the rejection of any link that binds woman to the family and the home…The care of home and children then devolves upon the collectivity. Finally, the right of education is denied to parents…And as every error contains its element of truth, the partial truths to which We have referred are astutely presented according to the needs of time and place, to conceal, when convenient, the repulsive crudity and inhumanity of Communistic principles and tactics. Thus the Communist ideal wins over many of the better minded members of the community. These in turn become the apostles of the movement among the younger intelligentsia who are still too immature to recognize the intrinsic errors of the system. The preachers of Communism are also proficient in exploiting racial antagonisms and political divisions and oppositions…” - Divini Redemptoris

I suppose next we’ll have letters similar to this being sent to law enforcement agencies…

So, this is how it works in practice:

Teacher: Johnny here was bullying a fellow student for his lunch money.
Principle: Sorry Mrs. Smith. We have already met our quota of consequences for ______ (name a group) students this week. Sorry I can’t hold Johnny accountable.

Sounds like racial profiling to me. If consequences for actions are enforced or withheld based on race, regardless of the race, that is racial profiling.

But then, as a teacher, I know public schools racially profile all the time, particularly in the designation of sub-groups to disaggregate test results, and the like. :shrug:

Jon

Yet another reason to home-school.

This is a good quote that explains many modern errors. However, the quote from the original post is so bleeping stupid that I don’t think any of our popes has yet anticipated it. I can’t imagine in what universe that logic originated. Even George Orwell would be dumbfounded. Forum rules prohibit me from saying what I really think about it.:frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.