Edward Snowden NSA leak: NY Times, Guardian call for clemency

cbc.ca/news/world/edward-snowden-nsa-leak-ny-times-guardian-call-for-clemency-1.2481808

They should but they won't and it'll be curious to see how this plays out politically in the midterm as by 2016 everybody will have forgotten about Snowden.

A great American hero as far as I'm concerned

Yes, but I don't think he'd be safe here.

I think he should stand trial here BUT I'm a believer in jury nullification, i.e., even if he can convince the jury he was right to expose the government he should be let go.

Btw, he's an opinion piece from the Telegraph responding to the NY Times and the Guardian:

Now, maybe I'm a naive Brit who doesn't understand these things, but he could, y'know, come home, stand trial for the crimes he actually committed, and rely on an American judge and jury to show leniency based on the argument that he was acting in the public interest. Or he could stay cowering in a country run by a former KGB spy in which the judiciary is a puppet of the president. Either way, I think this matter should resolve itself without THE EDITORIAL BOARD of the world's most pompous newspaper acting as an intermediary.

He should stand trial and spend the rest of his life in prison.

Peace

Tim

I think it's the people in the NSA who spied on American citizens, who need to be brought to justice.

[quote="Orogeny, post:5, topic:350234"]

Peace

Tim

[/quote]

Violated his oath, is a liar, and should spend his life in prison. If you have a beef with the federal government or intel agencies, this isn't how you go about it.

I could defend any action in the world (murder, rape) by saying I am a hero fighting an unjust cause. There are ways to do it. The guys is a deceitful liar, and now has the gall to whine about not being happy in Russia. Got rot in Moscow until your time on Earth is up, traitor.

[quote="Orogeny, post:5, topic:350234"]

Peace

Tim

[/quote]

What about the ones who broke the laws of the constitution?

What about other patriots thru out american history that have also fought against tyrannical govts? Sadly, many of them, if in modern times, would be considered terrorists.

Snowden was a whistleblower and eventually will go down in history as a true patriot, Its just sad the US media machine has brainwashed some of the population into taking their side LOL

It is actually every american citizens duty to do what they can against a corrupt Govt, it says this right in the document in black and white, I commend Snowden and any others that have the guts to do this.

The man committed a largest act of espionage in our nation's history. Yes he should be tried, convicted, and spend jail time.

It really doesn't matter what other people did or that he thought giving national secrets to people outside the US government was a great way to get back at those who committed what he considered was a crime or not. He is not authorized to do such a thing; and for all he knew it was all perfectly legal (and for all we all know; most if it may have been legal.)

There are ways inside the system to blow the whistle on what you think may be a crime.

What he did was wrong; no matter what way you look at it and he has caused a great deal of damage. Stealing is stealing and he stole. He broke a commandment doing it. He should be punished for it.

The constitution is not law in the same way local, state, and federal laws are applied. You may believe some people violated tenants of the Constitution. I believe that as well about the ACA, Roe Vs Wade, the departments of education and energy, and more.

Is every who breaks a law or does something illegal a hero to you as long as they think what they are doing is just?

Do you realize how many lives are put in danger when this sort of information is willfully turned over to our enemies?

Again, there is way to handle it, and this wasn’t it. I can disagree with the President without illegally hacking into his email account and harassing him, for example. Is any hacker, thief, or armed bully who opposes or harasses certain politicians a hero?

You can oppose the expansion of the federal government’s power AND still condemn dishonest frauds like Snowden. I do both quite often. It is the same way we can’t endorse the guy who shot George Tiller, even though Tiller was a demonic monster of a “man.”

In the end, he will die along on foreign soil, or die in a federal prison. And years from now, none of the people who find dishonesty heroic will pay him much mind. Way to throw your life away for nothing, Ed.

We as Americans should consider his motives and the good that he tried to bring about. But the way he did it perhaps was not the wisest.... and should he be punished, as a child that we love and is a part of the family, and not some cold-hearted criminal. How would you feel to have tried to 'help' a country, and in turn for that 'help' (which no one else would have done) are rejected by the country? In the future people in the position to speak out/act against a wrong may hesitate to do so if it means taking a risk, with no one to defend them (including those he/she helped). Then we all become partakers in that wrong. People make mistakes. Have some Mercy!

[quote="mikekle, post:8, topic:350234"]
What about the ones who broke the laws of the constitution?

What about other patriots thru out american history that have also fought against tyrannical govts? Sadly, many of them, if in modern times, would be considered terrorists.

Snowden was a whistleblower and eventually will go down in history as a true patriot, Its just sad the US media machine has brainwashed some of the population into taking their side LOL

It is actually every american citizens duty to do what they can against a corrupt Govt, it says this right in the document in black and white, I commend Snowden and any others that have the guts to do this.

[/quote]

It was not up to him to make the decision to release the data he did. He put himself into the role of judge, jury and executioner and, in doing so, damaged the US and our allies. The Constitution that you reference does not give him that right.

Snowden is not a whistleblower. He committed espionage and should be held accountable for his actions.

He should never see another day of freedom as long as he lives.

Peace

Tim

It seems to me that those who want Snowden to be regarded as a hero do so because he "disclosed" the fact that the NSA collects phone numbers of calls. Not the call content, but just "this number called that number". He is therefore considered a hero because of the "threat to freedom and privacy" such a thing entails.

I do wonder, though, why people are so upset about that. We now have a law called Obamacare, in which the government will have expanded and inter-departmental access to our medical records, our income records, and which has set up a system we understand is easy to hack.

That ought to be more concerning than whether I called Joe Smith or not.

And if the government is lawless besides? Small wonder, then, that Snowden's lawlessness is so little condemned.

We know this administration has illegally leaked information from agency to agency. it has used supposedly secure IRS information to harass political opponents. It has disclosed donors to prolife causes to NARAL, so they can be harrassed. It has used government agencies like IRS, OSHA and others to hound political opponents. There really isn't a whole lot about us that it doesn't already know or can't easily find out.

Nobody has been prosecuted for any of that. Rather, those things are called "phony scandals".

And very few sound alarms over this state of affairs.

Some people will never forgive Snowden because he proved that the wacko conspiracy nuts, and tinfoil heads were right about the American government spying on people. They wanted to believe that the shady intelligence agencies we have, existed to protect us.

[quote="Seamus_L, post:14, topic:350234"]
Some people will never forgive Snowden because he proved that the wacko conspiracy nuts, and tinfoil heads were right about the American government spying on people. They wanted to believe that the shady intelligence agencies we have, existed to protect us.

[/quote]

As opposed to existing for... what exactly?

Napolitano rejects idea of clemency for NSA leaker Snowden

Former Homeland Security secretary Janet Napolitano flatly rejected the idea of clemency for Edward Snowden, the former National Security Agency contractor whom the Obama administration has charged with theft of government property and unauthorized disclosure of defense secrets.
Appearing on NBC’s Meet the Press, Napolitano said “Snowden has exacted quite a bit of damage and did it in a way that violated the law. I think he’s committed crimes and I think that the damage we’ll see now and we’ll see it for years to come.”

She added “from where I sit today, I would not put clemency on the table at all…..I would rule it out. He has, by individual fiat, leaked very extensive information.”

She said that when she served as Homeland Security secretary, President Barack Obama was “very clear with me” that “there needed to be discussion and open dialogue about the balance between privacy and our privacy values then and security. And remember, these are both important values. There is a right balance to be struck here.”

But Snowden, she said, “just decided to go off on his own. And he did exact quite a bit of damage in my judgment.”

presspass.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/05/22187914-napolitano-rejects-idea-of-clemency-for-nsa-leaker-snowden

There’s only one Napolitano who’s opinion I care about, and it sure isn’t Janet.

Only if Pres. Obama and AG Holder join him in the same cell.

Nope. They may deserve their own punishment for other things, but their culpability has nothing to do with his criminal acts. He should never see another day as a free man for the rest of his life.

Peace

Tim

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.