EF Mass at 6 pm, how long to fast?

If my local FSSP parish has a 6pm Mass, how long does one fast? I guess I could do midnight - 6 pm but I’m wondering if that’s what is required?

Are you trying to use the traditional fasting rules or the ones in force? I think the traditional one is that it’s three hours instead of one.

2 Likes

You need only fast for one hour.

3 Likes

I guess I just wondered what is the requirement, and what traddies do?

I generally fast for one hour. I’ve tried doing it longer, but I also have to drive an hour when I go to the TLM, so I drink caffeine on the way there so I can stay awake.

2 Likes

The requirement is to fast for one hour. The current code of canon law applies, regardless of which mass you attend.

“Traddies” is a derogatory term.

1 Like

The requirement is one hour, but you can choose to fast for longer if you want to.

I think Pope Pius XII changed the requirement from midnight to three hours because afternoon Masses were introduced. It has since been changed to one hour.

3 Likes

No it isn’t.

I grew up in trad circles, and we (people in these groups) referred to ourselves as traddies and I personally would not have been offended if someone had called me a traddie. Actually I would have taken it as a compliment.

5 Likes

Thanks @Fauken @MockSock @1ke for offering your knowledge and comments!

Does consuming caffeine break the fast? I thought it did?

1 Like

It does. But the hour is until communion not the beginning of mass.

2 Likes

Good point.

Signed,

Glennon_P
Caffeine Addict of the Highest Order

4 Likes

I think if I told you how to fast that would constitute medical or physiological advice. And I would get swiftly baned for that so I’m afraid I can’t help you friend.

Back before the 50’s fasting was required from 12am until communion. Note however, that then mass could be said no later than 1pm, so a total of 13 hours fasting maximum.
This was changed to 3 hours for food, one hour for drink (before taking communion for laity, before the start of mass for celebrating clergy) in order to make it easier on (the fairly new concept of) shift workers and to encourage daily communion. This is what most traditional orders recommend.
You are however bound under pain of sin to fast one hour before communion.
Personally, I try to fast from 12am unless I’m going to mass later than 1pm. Then I try to fast for three hours.
If I’m at work before mass, I just make sure not to have eaten an hour before communion.
Hope this proves comprehensive.

4 Likes

Yes, very comprehensive. Thanks much!

1 Like

Also, if you’re over the age of 60 you’re exempt from the eucharistic fast.

2 Likes

I should actually be more specific, I fast until an hour before Mass begins. I try to get to Mass about 30 minutes earlier. I don’t like trying to guess when communion will be, so the time Mass begins is a good reference for me to use.

5 Likes

I fast for an hour. Could I do longer? Probably. But it’s not required.

Where are you getting this?

I do know that canon law makes provision for “the elderly”, but is an age specified?

Can. 919: §1. A person who is to receive the Most Holy Eucharist is to abstain for at least one hour before holy communion from any food and drink, except for only water and medicine.

§2. A priest who celebrates the Most Holy Eucharist two or three times on the same day can take something before the second or third celebration even if there is less than one hour between them.

§3. The elderly, the infirm, and those who care for them can receive the Most Holy Eucharist even if they have eaten something within the preceding hour.

One hour is a token fast at best, and it would be rare for someone — even one elderly or infirm — not to be able to keep it.

Some traditionalists (i.e., TLM adherents) keep the longer fast — three hours or even from midnight onward — as a matter of devotion, even though they are not bound by canon law to do so. And then there are sedevacantists (and not just sedevacantists) who do not recognize any changes in canon law made after the reign of Pope Pius XII (or possibly John XXIII) as having been legitimate and valid. I am not taking this position nor vindicating it, I am just noting that some people do. As Michael Davies said about the 1983 CIC, you either accept it, or you have to be a sedevacantist. (Davies was not a sedevacantist.)

2 Likes

I know all fasting laws end at 60 in my Diocese. That might not be universal, but I thought it was.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.