Effects of anti-Catholic stuff

What’s the effect of anti-Catholicism on you?

I think those anti-Catholicism stuffs only boost my faith

[quote=abcdefg]What’s the effect of anti-Catholicism on you?

[/quote]

The words of Jesus “Woe to you when all men speak well of you” comes to mind. I believe that persecution is the unofficial fifth mark of the Church…

Anti-Catholicism only convinces me I am in the right Church.

I love you,
Pisio

In today’s Gospel reading the apostle’s rejoice that they have been dishonored for the sake of the name. I can’t say I rejoice. And almost certainly wouldn’t if I, like them, had just been flogged for the sake of Jesus.

But anti-catholicism is strengthening my catholic faith. The same anti-catholicism I used to lap up gladly now strengthens my catholic faith. Strange how these things come about. Once the blinkers are off the holes in the anti-catholic arguments are much easier to see.

Actually radical anti-catholicism isn’t too common in the churches here. Not too many people preach the “whore of babylon” stuff. I’ve heard it here sometimes but not too much and mainly in churches more influenced by American preachers.

As the man said on GodTV (protestant generally charismatic evangelical) “Don’t let any of our American influence into your churches”. That was John Bevere, a good man indeed especially now he’s moved away from the strich Word of Faith teaching to more holiness preaching.

[/quote]

I agree with you. Encountering anti-Catholicism stuff strengthens my resolve to study more and more about my faith.

At first it made me wonder and then I’d research the issue and find all the errors in the claim and that is how it boosts my faith–there always is an answer! Now I’m beginning to look at the antiCatholic rhetoric with a mix of frustration (lots of people won’t bother checking the facts as I did and that is discouraging) and pity–the answers are all there and really not hard if one is not too proud to accept correction from the Church–it is too bad people waste so much time floundering in error.

[/quote]

It should boost our Faith. Is it not said that those who truly follow Him will be persecuted?

I joined this forum because I heard a Seventh Day Adventist on television preaching about the Church being the whore of Babylon and the antiChrist stuff. I wanted to be able to defend the attacks.

My faith has been strengthened.

[/quote]

I think of St. Polycarp and St. Perpetua who actually revelled in the fact that they were being martyred for their faith. I think we need to look forward to persecution with hope and joy that we are being treated just like Christ was treated, and our reward is to be with Him, if we remain loyal to the Gospel.

I would rather be the murdered, than be the murderer.

I would rather be stolen from, than steal.

I would rather be the persecuted, than be the persecutor.

There are two kinds of people that related to Jesus in the first century; those who followed Him and his teachings, and those persecuted. Have you ever heard of a priest, Bishop, or Cardinal denounce a Protestant denomination as evil, pagan, or perverse?

I have seen many Catholics disagree with Protestantism, and some who lose their tempers in the heat of the debate. But I have never seen a Catholic relate Protestantism in devilish terms. There are plenty of anti-Catholic books out there, virtually all of which have been proven to be based on half-truth and outright lies fostered from prejudice, anger, and hatred. I have never seen or heard about a vituperative anti-Protestant book by a respected member of the Catholic church.

In the upper room, Christ prayed for unity at the last supper. When someone who belongs to one of the 25,000 - 30,000 denominations that are in schism with the body of Christ points a finger at my faith and accuses, he pushes me right into the upper room.

Thal59

I put “other” since it doesn’t drain my faith, but it does drain me. I get so tired of hearing the same dumb remarks over and over again.

Now I wish I had read some of the responses before I casted my vote. Pisio’s comment about persecution being the unofficial 5th mark of the Church really made sense to me.

Anti-catholicism definately helps my faith, not only because I can see the feebleness of humankind but also because when I feel attacked I turn to Christ for protection

There is also the very practical point that constant attackls against my faith seem to evidence that the attackers are wrong. For example, why do so many protestants spend such a large amount of tijme and energy insulting us? It’s because they have little else that truly has the ability to occupy their discussions.

On these forums and in our daily lives us Catholics have such a RICHNESS of teachings and faith given us by the Holy Spirit working through our blessed Church. We can never run out of these deep mysteries to contemplate.

As a relatively new Catholic, I find it strengthens my faith by pushing me to learn the truth about what the anti-Catholics are saying. I’ve looked at their arguments and studied what the Church teaches and what the Bible teaches. They’re just wrong.

I never thought about the persecution being part of being a true believer. I like that. It reminds me we’re on the right path.

Frankly, I find anti-Catholic tirades to be childish and the people pushing them to be immature and poorly educated. The only effect they have is to make me feel sorry that anyone would hold such views.

It boosts my faith.

It causes me to learn more about my faith so I can better defend it.

The more venom, bile, and hatred the anti-Catholics spew out, the more convinced I am that I’m on the right side, and they are not.

It makes me feel so very sad for them. :frowning:

Although i do admit I must try not to laugh at some of the claims sometimes.

Actually it strengthens me but it also makes me sad that so many people are misinformed, misguided, mistaken and a few other “mis’s”. I see in many anti-catholic sites, just downright hatred and they claim its “truth” that they are projecting. They then tell catholics that the reason we get upset is because “truth” hurts. They seem to think that what they are showing us is some “new revelation” that Catholics have never, ever before realized. Actually, it is “new” to them because they have failed to realize that the church has been proclaiming the truth for 2000 years or so. They were not paying attention and all of a sudden they “found” Jesus because sombody got them on an emotional high. They left themselves wide open that when people pointed out something in the bible and show them that the CC is going against the bible, they are ready to go out and fight that horrible “organization of the devil” and claim they are being lead by the spirit.
I pray as much as I can for all the anti-catholic hatred that is flowing around the web and also publications.
Of course alot of these books sell and that means $$$$$ in their pockets.

I try to avoid the stuff. I admit that on a couple of occassions recently curiosity got the best of me and then I was very sorry. Every Catholic’s best bet is to shut it out and don’t even be curious about it.

This morning while talking on forum someone rudely interrupted the members with junk. I admit that I was taken aback when this happened and was then immediately thankful that the moderator was there to clean up the mess.

Caution needs to be taken when reading anything on this forum.
We all need to get into the habit of praying before reading and writing. Enought harm can come from our own hands not to mention the enemy who purposely seeks to destroy that which is good.

**Saint Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host -
by the Divine Power of God -
cast into hell, satan and all the evil spirits,
**who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls. ****

**Amen. **

[quote=mari319]As a relatively new Catholic, I find it strengthens my faith by pushing me to learn the truth about what the anti-Catholics are saying. I’ve looked at their arguments and studied what the Church teaches and what the Bible teaches. They’re just wrong.

I never thought about the persecution being part of being a true believer. I like that. It reminds me we’re on the right path.
[/quote]

Thanks Mari! I couldn’t have said this better since I came home to the faith as a result of an a-C attack on the Blessed Virgin that proved to be every bit as unfounded as I knew it was. That pushed me to dig into the teachings of the Church and like you I concluded that they (the anti-catholics) are indeed "just wrong."
Pax vobiscum,

When my wife or I are confronted, I put that person on pause. If I don’t know the immediate answer, I’ll find it and in different perspectives. Then I’l come back with the answer that I believe in the most. By the time we reply, the fire that burned in the the person(s) who confronted has usually burned out. :slight_smile:

So, thus they have learned, but more importantly, WE have learned something! So, I guess my answer would be in the are of “Boost”, but I answered “Other”.

I once asked Scotland’s answer to Ian Paisley in a letter why he did not attack the Moslems or Hindus the way he attacked the
Catholic Church.I said i thought the reason was because he was more afraid of catholicism.In addition,he was afraid of being called a racist if he attacked the non-christian religions,as these people tended to be black in our part of the world.
Anti-catholics also seem to make the wrong assumption that,if they can rubbish the Catholic Church,catholics will automatically
flock to the Protestant alternative Church.In Scotland,that doesn’t happen.The catholics only become more hostile to them.
The guy i am alluding to is Pastor Jack Glass of a breakaway Baptist Group.I mentioned on another thread a while ago that,in the 1970’s,he rubbished a miracle credited to John Ogilvie which led to his canonization.A man who was dying of cancer ended up
outliving his wife,the doctor who was attending him and the Parish
Priest who promoted the Cause of John Ogilvie.The Parish Name changed from Blessed John Ogilvie to St.John Ogilvie.
Towards the end of 2004,Jack Glass did a TV Programme in which it was claimed that Prayers had given him a miracle recovery from cancer.Early in 2005,the cancer came back and he died.During that TV Programme,i thought he looked depressed,not
at all like a man who had been granted a cure for his cancer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.