Eggs and anti-Catholicism hurled at churchgoers in Scotland [CNA]

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/Crucifix_at_the_Jubliee_Audience_in_St_Peters_Square_on_March_12_2016_Credit_Alexey_Gotovskiy_CNA_3_12_16.jpgEdinburgh, Scotland, Jan 21, 2017 / 04:02 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- A 12 year-old boy has been charged with threatening and abusive behavior following an incident on Tuesday at a Catholic Church in Scotland.

A “gang of youths” threw raw eggs and hurled “anti-Catholic abuse” at Fr. Kevin Dow and his parishioners outside St John and St Columba’s Church in Rosyth, 14 miles northwest of Edinburgh, as the churchgoers were leaving Mass the evening of Jan. 17.

Local media report witnesses said about 10 children around age 12 were involved in the incident, which is being treated by authorities as a hate crime. Scottish police said they responded to the complaints and that investigation is ongoing.

People with additional information have been encouraged to contact the authorities.

“It’s dreadfully sad that in today’s Scotland we still have young people who seem to be brought up or encouraged from elsewhere to be anti-Catholic and to do so in an open, intimidating and violent way,” Fr. Dow said following the attack.

There have been several similar incidents in the Scotland in recent years.

In July 2016 young people shouted anti-Catholic chants at a visiting priest in Broxburn, west of Edinburgh.

And in May 2015, a parish in Livingson, also west of Edinburgh, was extensively spray-painted with anti-Catholic graffiti.

Scotland has experience significant sectarian division since the Scottish Reformation of the 16th century, which led to the formation of the Church of Scotland, an ecclesial community in the Calvinist and Presbyterian tradition which is the country’s largest religious community.

When the moderator of the Church of Scotland, John Chalmers, met with Pope Francis in February 2015, he told CNA that such an encounter “means almost the end of that sectarian divide.”

feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/catholicnewsagency/dailynews?d=yIl2AUoC8zA
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/catholicnewsagency/dailynews/~4/0kY18WvejOA

Full article…

Unfortunately, children learn what they are taught.

Indeed, however sectariainism was once rife between Catholics and Protestants in Scotland and there is still and undercurrent of it left that flares up from time to time. Such attitudes take generations to get out of the system and even then they often are there deep down.

I had a French Professor who is from Scotland and is well aware of the fact that I am Catholic and in fact at one point taught at a Catholic school so probably wouldn’t have thrown eggs at me

Seems like a waste of eggs. I’m guessing there will be no penalty.

I think it might count as a hate crime

It’s terrible.

All depends on who the recipient is.

:rolleyes:

If you had asked that gent he would have told you of the long history of sectarian tension that has been a part of Scottish history in some places and which has at times boiled over into rioting or actual violence. For the most part that is long behind us but occasionally small elements of those outlooks surface in places and of course there are places in the British Isles where real virulent anti-Catholicism is visible on a regular basis as are attacks on Protestant places of worship.

Okay, but the gent is a she. I hope so or it would make my crush on her very odd

Not in today’s world although I presume you obviously do not ‘swing that way’. Scotland had a long history of sectariain rioting which is perhaps best exlempified in the still strong rivalry between two particular football (and by this we mean real football not that game the Americans play) teams, although the religious aspect of that has worn off and their matches are less resounding violent than in days of yore. Back then you could expect a good old street brawl, teeth knocked all over the place and possibly a spot of grievous bodily harm also. One club, Celtic, was supported mainly by Catholics, often of Irish descent., whereas the other, Rangers, was supported by mainly Protestants, often of an unionist or very pro-British bent.

There are still parts of Scotland though, particularly in the Highlands, where Catholicism persisted even after Knox, right? I thought it was mostly in the Lowlands that the presbyters flourished.

As JharekCarnelian has outlined, we have a peculiar brand of sectarianism here in Scotland’s central belt. Most of the anti- Catholicism comes from ‘cultural protestants’ with no affiliation to any church, but invariably their ‘religion’ consists of supporting Glasgow Rangers, along with far-right movements with affiliation to some Northern Irish Unionsts.
On the other hand, a lot of Glasgow Celtic supporters would brand themselves as ‘Catholic’ but wouldn’t know what the inside of a chapel looked like.
Funnily enough, a lot of the aforementioned ‘cultural protestants’ are great supporters of ‘The Donald’…Hmmm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.