Ego and the Brain

Just for arguments sake…what is it that some people find in a religion that they cannot find without it?..Has anyone ever thought about this? Are our lives really better because we believe in a God? I’m talking about a scientific, objective conclusion - or at least an attempt. What is it that we have …that others don’t? How do we know we have it? Are we better because of it? Or is it just different?..Has anyone ever thought about the relevance of their belief, and then wondered …"hey I could be this person, and do these things anyway!?

Dear Strength,

Actually, I think you might consider looking at your
questions in an entirely different way.
How’s this:

If there were no God, then all of the religious activity that
you note is…ridiculous.

If God exists [which I, for one, believe He does], then
the questions you ask are, I think, 180 degrees
off “true North.” Why?

Because the worship of God takes place because God is
God. And when strength fails…as at some point it
must…I’ll be glad that there is a Strength beyond
mine Who will bear me up and bring me home.
The emphasis here is not on me but on Him.

And all the strengths and natural gifts that are mine
are not mine, but gifts from God. It makes all the
difference in the world to understand that all that
I have is “on loan”…strength, intelligence, good
looks, modest material goods, some good health.

There are only two options, as I see it. Either what
I’m stating is ridiculous, or it is reality.

To me, it’s not a question of what I “find.” To me,
the glory is in being “found”, by Another. Being
recognized by that Other Who refers to Himself as
I AM. And how does God, in some sense, describe
Himself? :

"Even if your father and mother forget you,
I will never forget you,
See? I have written your name on the palm
of My hand.

Be well, Strength,
reen12

[quote=Strength]Just for arguments sake…what is it that some people find in a religion that they cannot find without it?..Has anyone ever thought about this? Are our lives really better because we believe in a God? I’m talking about a scientific, objective conclusion - or at least an attempt. What is it that we have …that others don’t? How do we know we have it? Are we better because of it? Or is it just different?..Has anyone ever thought about the relevance of their belief, and then wondered …"hey I could be this person, and do these things anyway!?
[/quote]

You have missed the whole point of religion. Religion is not about what you can gain in life. It is not about having more fun while on earth. It is about becoming who God made you to be. It is about becoming Christ-like. It is about the truth. Since God is the truth it is about God. Religion is for the greater glory of God. It is not about what I can get out of it. You seem to have that me me me me attitude.

I have thought alot about my faith and the relevance of it. Everything else pales in comparison to the importance of faith in God. I would rather have a strong faith than be Bill Gates or Ted Turner or any other rich guy.

I have seen your other threads on religion being a crutch. Again, you look at it as if religion is about what you can get out of it. You look at yourself as if you are a good person. Who are you to say that? I would gaurantee that you have done some pretty bad things in your past, whether you had faith at the time or not. Consequently, since you have done evil, you can not claim to be good, just like someone who lies can’t claim to be honest.

closed #4

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.