Egypt and United Arab Emirates Said to Have Secretly Carried Out Libya Airstrikes

CAIRO — Twice in the last seven days, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates have secretly teamed up to launch airstrikes against Islamist-allied militias battling for control of Tripoli, Libya, four senior American officials said, in a major escalation between the supporters and opponents of political Islam.

The United States, the officials said, was caught by surprise: Egypt and the Emirates, both close allies and military partners, acted without informing Washington or seeking its consent, leaving the Obama administration on the sidelines. Egyptian officials explicitly denied the operation to American diplomats, the officials said.

The strikes are the most high-profile and high-risk salvo unleashed in a struggle for power that has broken out across the region in the aftermath of the Arab Spring revolts, pitting old-line Arab autocrats against Islamists.

nyti.ms/1ANJQex

IS is a direct thread to Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan, so they might want to attack them in a coordinated action with the US attacking in Iraq.

Doing so would be in their best interest. The Islamic State is a threat to all governments in the region, since their self-declared caliphate would either dissolve or subordinate the individual countries.

However, Gilliam, I don’t understand your comment. How does it relate to this particular news story?

Qatar’s support of the Islamist elements in Libya is interesting, given its major support of Hamas in Gaza. Qatar is an ally of the US, yet seems to have played an important role in sustaining the current conflict between Gaza and Israel.

foxnews.com/world/2014/08/21/qatar-home-to-hamas-boss-and-funder-gaza-strip-criticized-amid-cease-fire-talks/

It doesn’t, I put it on the wrong thread. :blush:

Oh okay, although I don’t think the comment was entirely irrelevant. I would say the comment was relevant in terms of political Islam, and whether governments of Islamic countries in the region should be doing more to combat it.

As for this news story, Egypt and the UAE seem to be taking strong action against political Islam. We have seen in earlier news reports about Gaza that Egypt considers such movements to be a threat. That the UAE is involved surprises me, probably because I haven’t been following the news closely enough.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.