Egypt orders slaughter of all pigs over swine flu

CAIRO - Egypt began slaughtering the roughly 300,000 pigs in the country Wednesday as a precautionary measure against the spread of swine flu even though no cases have been reported here yet, the Health Ministry said.

The move immediately provoked resistance from pig farmers. At one large pig farming center just north of Cairo, farmers refused to cooperate with Health Ministry workers who came to slaughter the animals and the workers left without carrying out the government order.

home.peoplepc.com/psp/newsstory.asp?cat=TopStories&referrer=welcome&id=20090429/49f7d0c0_3ca6_15526200904291056968979

I wonder if PETA will have some big outrage over this? :wink:

I’m surprised that a muslim country has pigs in it.

Somehow I doubt that the Muslims will care. They consider swine to be unclean anyhow. PETA is nothing over there. Im sure that PETA will be considered unclean by them once they are the majority here in America.

Since it’s being spread human to human, I’m not sure how killing all the pigs is going to help. :rolleyes:

:D:D:D

A doctor on the Today show said you can’t get the flu from eating pig. Didn’t say if you kissed one!:smiley:

Please tell me that the price of Pork chops is going to plummet!

I am going to the butcher’s shop tonight!

I just had a ham sandwich! :eek: Will have another later.

“We remind Hosni Mubarak that we are all Egyptians. Where does he want us to go?” said Gergis Faris, a 46-year-old pig farmer in another part of Cairo who collects garbage to feed his animals. “We are uneducated people, just living day by day and trying to make a living, and now if our pigs are taken from us without compensation, how are we supposed to live?”

“In Egypt, pigs are raised and consumed mainly by the Christian minority, which some estimates put at 10 percent of the population. Health Ministry spokesman Abdel-Rahman Shaheen estimated there are between 300,000-350,000 pigs in Egypt.”

Since Muslims don’t eat pork, this hurts the Christian minority.:shrug:

It’s a good thing that the US isn’t doing the same. Quite a few of the farmers here in Ohio raise pigs. Imagine telling folks to kill all the pigs, when there are also birds and human varieties involved. :confused: That is just unjustified. Unless we kill all the species involved. That would wipe out all of us and several species of animals. I think it is stupid to kill animals because of a name.:slight_smile:

God Bless!

i think this response of killing the pigs was 1 of two things. either it was:

1. an effort to appear in control and avoid a mass panic by doing something the masses would see as helpful

or

1. it was a cover so that a mostly muslim country with a history of intolerance to christians, including recent cases of imprisonment, rape, beating, and murder against converts, could make one more step to getting rid of things that go against islam.

personally i think either way was a foolish move, but honestly it was probably for one of those reasons, maybe both, that they did it.

Yes. I’m sure every radical Muslim in Egypt demanded it, and was pleased to see it. Bad news for the secular Muslims who will now no longer be able to sneak down to some Christian ghetto to buy their breakfast bacon or sausage, and will have to import it from Rumania or Ethiopia or someplace.

Egypt has over 400,000 pigs that are raised to be sold to the Christian minority population. What’s sad, is that Egypt was once a leading intellectual culture. Now they don’t even know that you don’t get this virus from pigs! Its just an unforturnate naming convention that causes it to be called swine flu.

The annual pig kissing fundraiser in my town got canceled! Someone dressed up in a fluffy pig suit was substituted, but its not the same!

Petsche said the association realizes there would probably be no health risk from the live pig, but “we’d rather be safe than sorry.”

“We don’t want anyone to think that we take things lightly,” she said.

I feel very sad about this. I know that pigs are raised for food, etc. but this is needless slaughter of God’s creatures. The virus is a mixture of human-bird-swine flu and pork is safe to eat. At least couldn’t the pork meat be given to poor and starving people?

That could have made for a heck of a BBQ…

:crying:

A Muslim journalist for one of the country’s state-run newspapers confirmed to WND that some top health and agriculture ministry officials publicly leading the swine killing charge are known Islamists. But he said it was not clear whether they were connected to the

Muslim Brotherhood, which is in the opposition in Egypt.

“They are trying to take away our income,” charged one Coptic leader. “Thousands of Christians lost their income.”

Local Christians told WND the Egyptian government set up checkpoints in major Coptic communities, such as Delta and Behma. The checkpoints, the Christians said, was to ensure locals don’t try to hide pigs by transferring them out of the farms.

The local Christians claimed Egyptian security forces were humiliating them at the checkpoints.

“They are forcing us to strip, like we might have pigs under our clothes. I think they are covering for a campaign of harming and humiliating Christians,” said a local Christian.

wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=96661

it seems this was just a ploy to advance the persecution of christians.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.