Egypt: prominent convert from Islam to Christianity arrested [CWN]

Bishoy Armia Boulous, a prominent Egyptian Muslim convert to Christianity, has been arrested, according to multiple media reports.Morning Star News reported that he had been arrested …

More…

May the Holy Spirit strengthen him in his sufferings

You know the common reaction is " hand wringing, " " Oh, what can we do! " Well we can do quite a bit. But Catholics and other Christians will have to get off their duffs. We should ostrasize those nations which discriminate against Christians in any way or persecute them in any way. I mean we should demand that our country (s ), cut off all aid, lock all their bank accounts, close their businesses, seize their assets, send their students home, refuse visas, close our embassies, etc.

Linus2nd

Yes! agree 100% but we won’t see it because of political correctness as well as the current administration love affair with Islamic countries.

Yes! And let us pray. God give him strength, faith, peace, hope and love. Amen.

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name.
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
Pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be world without end. Amen.

Yes, we could do this, but make no mistake there would be a backlash against Christians all over the Middle East because of it. Putting some pressure is good, putting too much might backfire on us. . . although I do agree we should do something.

As for something we can do, we can start with praying:

Hail Mary, full of Grace, the Lord is with thee blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Please Mother protect, your children in Egypt from all harm, especially Bishoy who has been captured by Islamists.

It is well known that Saudi Arabia and China discriminate against Christians, while at the same time the Saudis were great friends of Republicans such as the Bush family and trade with the Chinese was opened up by the Republicans under Nixon and Kissinger. If you are going to lock all their bank accounts, seize their assets, then they will simply shut off their oil supply to the USA and the USA will have to find other sources such as Russia to supply petroleum, unless the Americans are willing to live with gasoline at $10 per gallon. And if you seize all the assets of China, then they will retaliate by shutting down all the American companies operating in China and prices for everything that is today made in China will go through the roof. So this idea of locking all the bank accounts of the Chinese and the Saudis, and seizing their assets is unrealistic and unworkable, and it would ultimately turn out to hurt the USA. This is poorly thought out way to deal with discrimination against Christians in Saudi Arabia and China.

It is not the job of governments to censure Egypt for this.
It is the job of Christians to protest this

Of course, it might have been a decent thing to do for Obama to have at least brought up the case of the jailed Christian Iranian preacher in his latest negotiations with Iran too.

I agree that it might have been the decent thing to do… from where I’m sitting. Unfortunately (or fortunately on second thought), where I’m sitting isn’t at the negotiating table. I would assume that any negotiating that is achieved is done so in a very tense, and fragile environment. I think, and I believe that the preacher might agree, that the priority in that room is securing an end to any nuclear program Iran is running. I think that the safety of the entire world is more important than risking any progress over an attempt to secure the freedom of one person.

As Egypt has signed the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (“Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.” Article 18), pressure should be applied by the United Nations and states which have influence, like the United States which gives Egypt lots of financial aid. For example, Obama famously made promotion of homosexual rights (effecting a small number of persons) a mainstay of his foreign policy; he should do the same for religious freedom (effecting millions of people).

The noun phrase “their students” suggests that we should assume that a foreign government that persecutes people based on religion has a natural ownership of all students who were born in a country that has the misfortune of having such a government. If some of the students who are “sent home” are themselves Christians, then wouldn’t we be enabling the continuation and expansion of exactly the kind of persecution that motivates us to demand policy changes?

Perhaps I misunderstand your motivation. Do you want to make things much, much worse so that in future people will demand good changes to policy? Or were you merely venting?

I would like to be able to say that myself. However, I would want to say it softly while carrying a big stick. My stick would consist of quotations and citations. Could you please provide one or two? Thank you in advance.

Just in case the above seems a bit too formulaic, I must tell you that it’s exactly what I am thinking. There is no onus on you to prove anything. However, I anticipate that if I were to follow your example, then I wouldn’t be comfortable unless I had something in reserve to help me respond to any doubters or critics.

The deal itself sucked too, if that is what you are getting at.

closed #16

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.