Egypt: The Pope converted to Islam

I heard a rumor that the Egyptian press has been telling people that John Paul convereted to Islam before his death. My friend said it was an article in a Cario newspaper, the article also said Bill Gates converted as well. Does anyone know anything about this article, or is my friend just making stuff up?

That is crazy:eek:

Just proves: Anybody can say anything :whacky:

what a bunch of baloney! Haven’t heard that one before but people claim the dumbest things…

Nothing comes up on Google. I doubt there ever were any such reports in the press.

That’s what I was thinking too, he does say stuff like this a lot. But on the other hand I know for a fact that after that tsunami some Arab newspapers were reporting that it was caused by an Isreali bomb, so I’m not sure what to believe.

It is obviously tabloid-ish journalism if it ever was in print. Then again, look at the idiots who probably wrote it. What do you expect? The Pope was definitely Christian.

The muslims are very jokers, and they think that all people is, was and will be muslims, some articles said that people like Cervantes( lost an arm in Lepanto and he was in Arger several years imprisoned) , Shakespeare and others were muslims.

if the media reports on catholicism, you can bet that it’s 100% accurate.

[quote=Franze]The muslims are very jokers, and they think that all people is, was and will be muslims, some articles said that people like Cervantes( lost an arm in Lepanto and he was in Arger several years imprisoned) , Shakespeare and others were muslims.
[/quote]

I don’t think thats a very charitable thing to say, and it is highly inaccurate.

[quote=JP2ImissU]I heard a rumor that the Egyptian press has been telling people that John Paul convereted to Islam before his death. My friend said it was an article in a Cario newspaper, the article also said Bill Gates converted as well. Does anyone know anything about this article, or is my friend just making stuff up?
[/quote]

So who were the witnesses ? Witnesses are needed, so that the convert’s confession - the Shahadah - can be known, and the convert properly received.

themodernreligion.com/convert/islam_conversion_main.htm

Are you sure the allegation was not about the Coptic Pope ? (Not that I’m suggesting he’s converted either, but he is at least in Egypt.)

Compare this:

answering-islam.org.uk/Hoaxes/abuishaq.html

If the Roman Pope became a Muslim, then I’m a Two-Seed-in-the-spirit Baptist :smiley: ##

Are you sure the allegation was not about the Coptic Pope ? (Not that I’m suggesting he’s converted either, but he is at least in Egypt.)

Pope Shenouda did not, nor will he ever ever EVER conver to Islam.

There’s no need to believe a word of this–neither Pope converted.

It’s all lies. I once found an article online that was suppossedly written by a Coptic Cardinal who converted to Islam. It was all lies. I mean whoever wrote it didn’t even take the time to learn about the Coptic Orthodox Church before writting it. It was so incorrect it was just ridiculous. It was the most disturbing, upsetting thing I had ever read. The things that person wrote…:mad:

FYI, any media in Egypt is run by Muslims. So it is by no means a neutral source.

God Bless,
Elizabeth

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.