Egypt's top religious authority condemns Islamic State

CAIRO, Aug 12 (Reuters) - Egypt’s top religious authority condemned the armed group Islamic State which has taken over parts of Iraq and Syria, describing it on Tuesday as a corrupt, extremist organisation that is damaging Islam.

“An extremist and bloody group such as this poses a danger to Islam and Muslims, tarnishing its image as well as shedding blood and spreading corruption,” said Grand Mufti Shawqi Allam, Egypt’s most influential Muslim cleric, the state news agency MENA reported.

The comments came as the Vatican called on Muslim religious leaders to take a “clear and courageous stance” and condemn “unspeakable criminal acts” by Islamic State.

The grand mufti’s view represents the opinion of Al Azhar, one of the world’s oldest seats of Muslim learning, which influences the opinions of Muslims worldwide.

trust.org/item/20140812141830-2fo0v

The Vatican has requested Muslim leaders to condemn and denounce unambiguously ISIS and Christian persecution in Iraq.

theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/12/vatican-calls-muslim-leaders-condemn-christian-persecution-iraq

It is good to hear that this religious authority condemned the Islamic State. I had only heard a few condemnations of it from other Muslims.

Maybe it is my suspicious nature but I wonder how much the Egyptian government had to do with this one.

What kind of Islam do they practice in Egypt?

At least someone listened to the Pope.

This is a good start. Now if only Egypt’s government would come to the aid of those terrorized and displaced by ISIS in Iraq and Syria. Egypt has a strong military force that could work wonders, if properly motivated.

Sunni

At least someone listened to the Pope.

I tend to think that it wasn’t the Pope who convinced them to say something

What was the motivation then - it puts Islam in a bad light?
Or did someone else advise them?

The spread of the Islamic State. Egypt has enough of their own problems, they don’t want this brand of Islam spreading there. If they could, ISIS would over throw the Egyptian government and every other government.

This group is so extreme, Muslim governments are are scared by them. I’m surprised we haven’t seen Saudi come out against them. Then again, perhaps they have and it hasn’t been reported on. It would be very interesting if they do given their extreme version of sunni islam.

Indonesia is the most populous Islamic nation in the world and they have banned all teaching and support of ISIS.

theaustralian.com.au/news/latest-news/indonesia-bans-isis-teaching-and-support/story-fn3dxix6-1227014496927?nk=d312d8a3de2e4b5d402ba7fc49cf0f34

Edit: Did a quick look in google. Saudi hasn’t come out against ISIS as far as religious edicts go (that I can find), but they are securing their border and keeping track of ISIS supporters. For those interested:

ibtimes.co.in/saudi-arabia-urges-egypt-pakistan-troops-secure-border-isis-605980

The Muslim world sees ISIS as a threat. That is why Egypt has come out against them.

I know Libya is having its problems right now and that is causing problems along the border. How did ISIS get so strong?

I’m not sure it’s so much a matter of ISIS being so strong as it is of its opponents being weak.

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.