Einstein, I Design and other attacks on the church

I get pretty agrivated that so many people think that Albert Einstein was some sort of super human.
He had one golden year, 1905, then spent fourty years working out the next paper. A great deal of his life was spent working against his intelectual grandchild Quantum Physics.
This is where the agnostic jew made his famous “God doesn’t play dice with the universe” quip. He did it knowing that the man he was debating was a Christian. Bohr simply responded, “Quit telling God what to do with his dice.” The debate was in no way speaking of the origins of life, and considering the depths of their discussion I doubt many people could grasp the issues they were discussing.
In an essay found in “Out of My Later Years” he shows his agnostic hand. Put in that context the rest of his essays make sense. He advocates one world government with a one world army. In some of the essays he almost promotes a universalist religion as well.
In contradiction to the teachings of the Church, he believed that man could bring about peace on earth through ordinary means. That is science and reason would be the way Utopia would be born.
What then can we say of the priest Georges Lemaitre? He held fast to the things he received in both word and deed. He created a system proving that matter could come from non matter. He was a faithful advisor to several Popes.
Why does no one quote him in these matters? Because what he speaks is to hard for many to grasp. Many have itching ears and would rather think they are thinking than actually think.

Einstein’s theories of relativity, as with other reltivity theopries of the early 20th century came about trying to mask the apparent failure of Michelson-Morley (MM) and other related experiments- i.e., MM implied the earth was not moving, and this was unacceptable to the dogma of the time (Copernicism). Rather than accept that there was not a fringe shift proportional to a 30 km/s transit through space (i.e., earth’s purported velocity around the sun), Lorentz accepted Fitzgerald’s tautological hypothesis that the interferometer arm in the direction of earth’s travel miraculously shrunk just enough to “mask” the measurement. Einstein incorporated Lorentz and Fitzgerald’s hypothesis into special relativity, but then declared that the aether did not exist.

Of course after developing general relativity he brought back a “relativistic” aether. Today there is a struggle between quantam mechanics who claim that space is actually much more substantial than ordinary (i.e., baryonic) matter and general relativity which claims that space is basically nothing (i.e., a vacuum, albeit with a relativistic aether).

There was a discussion of this here and in other places (see associated links).

Note that he received the Nobel prize not for Relativity but for his discovery of the photoelectric effect which demostrates the particulate behavior of light waves. This led the the equivalent idea of the wave nature of electrons.

I’d reply if I had a clue what you are angry about?

I don’t have a clue either :confused:

If the issue is an insufficient appreciation of Georges Lemaitre (in the popular consciousness), then I think I agree. Some links like these may help.

catholiceducation.org/articles/science/sc0022.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lema%C3%AEtre

space.about.com/cs/astronomerbios/a/lemaitrebio.htm

Yes (1)
And relative theory(2) is not E=mc2 (3) additionally the calculation for gravity(4) is none of the earlier three! And what about those bent light waves(5)? So to suggest he was a one trick pony is unfair. He understood the assumptions were incorrect, once he corrected the assumption the door was open and many good things occurred. However it is unwise to believe man would not have evidential learn these lessons.

I agree that Einstein is overrated. But that is mostly because no one can justify the kind of adulation that he received. The are dozens of scientists that deserve a measure of that glory. On the other hand, if I could achieve half of what he achieved in the sciences, I’d be a happy camper.

I have a problem when anyone picks a single name to represent an entire discipline or way of life. If you have achieved any recognition or notoriety you are the next Hitler, Einstein, Marilyn Monroe, Mother Theresa, Al Capone…

But when someone becomes an icon, it is unlikely that the choice of icons is going to change. Einstein is the icon for intelligence, there is no way that is goingt o change.

Still I do not know what is the problem of the OP with Einstein who was not an agnostic by the way but a deist.
And yes Bishop Georges Lemaitre is underated, I thing catholics TE should promote it more to counter the nonsense some catholics are getting from some people like AIG or CRI.

I took issue with uncle Albert being used here and in other forums/ places to boost the AIG, CRI and other groups that are standing against science and the church.
People often quote him like he is some sort of divinely guided saint. What I was hoping to point out was that he is not. Even his science is not all that great in his latter days. In fact most of his later day work was trash. His great work was done while married to the mother of his children, not when he was married to his cousin. Which by the way is a sin.
As he was a not a Christian and not even a believer in God as those that claim him as their patron see God I was hoping to put an end to their nonsensical posting and bumperstickers.
I did not know that Lemaitre was a bishop, and I can’t find anything on it. Even though he was Catholic and I am Orthodox, he’s da man.

Lemaitre was a priest, and abbot and a bishop in his church career. And he formulated the Big Bang theory!
Not walk in the park to excell both in science and religion at the same time.

I did not know that Lemaitre was a bishop, and I can’t find anything on it. Even though he was Catholic and I am Orthodox, he’s da man.

Search for his biography A Day Without Yesterday, *Father Georges Lemaitre, Albert Einstein and the Big Bang theory. by John Allen. *

You guys is smart…:nerd:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.