Einstein Letter: Religion is Childish

Einstein wrote:

“For me the Jewish religion like all others is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions,” he said.

breitbart.com/article.php?id=080513122249.m3ds3b6j&show_article=1

• kathie :bowdown:

what is the date of the letter, to whom is it written, what was going on in Einstein’s life at the time. He lived a long life, his ideas on science, religion, family life and other topics changed over time, as do those of many public figures, so one letter or article or even book is not reliable in determining his thoughts on the topic (look at St. Augustine).

Interesting. As Jesus said, “Unless you become as little children, then you shall need inherit the kingdom of God.”

I am also suprised that the article didn’t expand on the brief mention of Einstein’s quote about religion and science. He felt that both sought truth and that they could work together. One without the other was missing something. Pure science is too restrictive, and it needs religion’s ability to think outside the box and consider the fantastic, while religion needs science to work out that which is fallicious and cannot stand up to scientific scrutiny.

As the article says, 1954. Other details are in the article too.

• kathie :bowdown:

Albert Einstein described belief in God as “childish superstition” and said Jews were not the chosen people, in a letter to be sold in London this week, an auctioneer said Tuesday.
The father of relativity, whose previously known views on religion have been more ambivalent and fuelled much discussion, made the comments in response to a philosopher in 1954.

As a Jew himself, Einstein said he had a great affinity with Jewish people but said they “have no different quality for me than all other people”.

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish.

so much for albert einstien being used to support science and faith together. benedict groeschel better find another jewish scientist to quote.

This is a crushing disappointment to me. I always thought he believed in the almighty, and that belief by one of the smartest men who ever lived helped the foundation of faith. But, alas, apparently not to be. I really don’t know what to think…Roanoker

Einstein died in 1955. This gives perspective on his late-in-life views.

Every biography I’ve ever read on Albert Einstein made it clear his religious beliefs were complicated and that he wasn’t a theist or an atheist. If memory serves, he believed in a guiding intelligence or “God” along the lines of Spinoza. I’ve known people with similar views call traditional beliefs in God foolish, childish, outdated, etc, while at the same time criticizing atheism.

In the end, Einstein’s opinion is not important anyway.

Einstein was just a man who showed some scientific acumen.

So, he thought the texts of the Bible were “childish”; big deal; that was his opinion.

And what he wrote a year or two before his death does not necessarily show what his state of mind was during the hours before his death.

We really have no way of knowing in the end what he believed; only God does.

We already know that Christ is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

It isn’t necessary that Einstein or other popular thinkers to believe in Catholic Tradition and Scripture for it to be True.

Also, these scientist with this Atom Bomb, and later Hydrogen and Nuclear Bombs, and the embryo killing stem-cell destructive “research” are engaged and are engaging themselves in a perversion of science.

Even the Netherlands today, one of the most socially liberal nations of Europe, has banned embryo killing stem-cell research.

(Source: Radio Netherlands)

I think Einstein tried to convince FDR that the Manhattan Project wasn’t a good idea, but I believe his E=MC2 equation was first conceived as a way of destroying Nazi Germany from which he had fled.

I know more recent historians and scientists do their best to distance Einstein from the creation of the Atomic Bomb (and that is what you usually hear in our popular culture).

But I am almost certain from some PBS TV shows I’ve watched that Einstein laid the foundation for the Atom Bomb’s creation with his equation and his own research, and he initially meant for this power to be used against Nazi Germany in order to destroy Nazi Germany, but he flip-flopped and had second thoughts and then tried to persuade FDR not to have the A-Bomb developed (which was the right decision, but, IMO, too late after the ball got rolling).

Here’s the news story about the letter:

www6.comcast.net/articles/news-world-europe/20080513/einstein.bible/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.