Ejected From God's House

Ejected From God's House

"The women were told on no uncertain terms they could not remain in the mosque and the DC cops ordered us to leave or be ushered out."

Although I object to the segregation of women, I do support religious freedom and the freedom of association. That this mosque chooses to segregate their religious observance is probably within their right.

Muslims who don’t agree with the segregation of sexes during worship should probably support a different mosque.

[quote="Hypatia, post:1, topic:190145"]
Ejected From God's House

"The women were told on no uncertain terms they could not remain in the mosque and the DC cops ordered us to leave or be ushered out."

[/quote]

Their religion, their rules, their fight.

Many mosques, and some Orthodox Synagogues, segregate the sexes.

frankly, what i think about it, is irrelevant. its their religion. if they have a long standing rule about something, then the people trying to make them change are no different than any protesters coming into the Catholic church yelling about OUR “prejudices”

if the mosque suddenly changed their rules, i would have more to say about it. but in the end… i am not Muslim.

The author is pretty confused and apparently doesn’t understand what freedom of religion means. The police were called by the administers of the mosque to keep order, and they ejected the women who were causing the disruption (as low-key as it was). The same could happen if a bunch of rainbow sashers were being disruptive in a Catholic Church and the priest called the cops to eject them.

It has nothing to do with a lack of freedom in our country…just the opposite!

In Conservative Quaker Meetings, the women and children sit on one side of the meetinghouse and the men and young boys sit on the other....it is how it is done in these meetings....freedom of religious expression within the confines of the meetinghouse.

To cause disruption within the confines of the Mosque that breaks religious decorum is not right. It would be similar to "Gentiles" seeking to enter into a Mormon Temple by force....it's not done within the rule of law.

As long as this "National Mosque" does not get a single penny of taxpayer money then they can do as they wish.

First of all it is allah's house- please use the correct term- secondly if you are of allah's house as a female you have no rights- you are a chattell slave to your husband/protector/owner. It doesn't matter that it happened in the US- under Mohammadan rules you as a female have no rights. Please do not try to pollute our heritage and culture with the vesitiges of the ninth century AD.

I think you are objecting to the title of this thread (and the article.) However, the word “Allah” simply is the word for God in some languages. As a Catholic, and a member of CAF, you should be aware that Catholics in some parts of the world use the word Allah when referring to God. Substituting one word for the other doesn’t lessen its meaning.

I don’t think you have very good understanding of Islam as it is practiced in the US, or elsewhere in the West.

I read this from the sixth chapter of the article:

Is this where our tax dollars should go?

My response: Huh? Is it not enough that religions get tax free status?

My suggestions to help you: Consider your options to protest in your own faith community.
Call the ACLU up. Hire an attorney that will help you present a case to defend your rights within your community.
NEVER confuse your rights as a US citizen with your “rights” to attend whatever religious group you decide to be involved in. You do not have ANY legal rights to attend any religious group of your choosing. The government can not force any religion to do this.
Just as the government can not force you to allow refuge to anyone who knocks on your door.

You chose this religion. If you don’t like it, you should read about Martin Luther. :shrug:

[quote=StrawberryJam;6393399

]I read this from the sixth chapter of the article:

Is this where our tax dollars should go?

My response: Huh? Is it not enough that religions get tax free status?

I think that the question was more one about whether the instruments of the state should be used to settle private disputes.
My own impression is that there is a legitimate authority in the mosque, and the women were not the legitimate authority.To the point that the authorities of the mosque saw a potentially volatile situation, they were acting correctly by calling in the police, and the police were correct in taking protective action.

My suggestions to help you: Consider your options to protest in your own faith community.
Call the ACLU up. Hire an attorney that will help you present a case to defend your rights within your community.

I don’t think that this is a matter for the law, quite frankly, other than keeping the peace when called upon to do so.
The freedom of right to assembly seems to be one of the rights of citizenship that don/t get a fair shake. This is a private organization and if they want the women in the back of the bus so to speak, that is their option.
If the women do not like that—and why should they?—, I think that the best response would be to start their own version of Islam, or just leave altogether.

NEVER confuse your rights as a US citizen with your “rights” to attend whatever religious group you decide to be involved in. You do not have ANY legal rights to attend any religious group of your choosing. The government can not force any religion to do this.

Exactly. In the name of social justice or social engineering or whatever, the governments already have injected legislation into too many private functions. This is really an internal dispute. Other than ensuring the safety of all players when called to do so, the government ought not have a dog in this fight.

Just as the government can not force you to allow refuge to anyone who knocks on your door.

Charity is only charity when freely given.

You chose this religion. If you don’t like it, you should read about Martin Luther. :shrug:

For sure.
If the men want to pray alone, then let them. Freedom is defined by a society that would allow people to leave such a system and join a system that is more in line with their own beliefs.

I agree this is not a matter for the law to handle, this is why I suggested to the OP to talk to a lawyer, so that hopefully they will either end up understanding this is not a battle they can take to our US court system, but then it occured to me there may be lawyers who will still want to take her money and tell her they will “fight” her case (that has no basis in law) and go on with a frivilous lawsuit against (whatever Imam?) just so she can fork over a ton of hard earned money to them to end up Loosing this one.

If this OP was in another country, where tax dollars actually do go to funding religions as in some contries in Europe and in Canada, that’s another story. An interesting one it would be.

Please be advised that the Catholic Church teaches that Muslims and Christians worship the same God. We Catholics need to form our religious education from our Church’s Magisterium and not from talk radio.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I’ve seen some Jewish congregations where the sexes as segregated. One side of the pews are for men, the other are for women.

Why couldn’t Muslims make a light partition down the middle of the mosque so that both the women and men could see the imam speak.

As it is now, the partitions are usually off in some corner so that the men can easily see the imam but the women are sequestered away.

This problem is easily solvable: Instead of making the partition in a tiny space to the side, make the partition right down the middle so both men and women can worship.

I doubt that a mosque would be able to receive Saudi funding for a solution like that.

America, perhaps due to the inherent openness of its society, is the only country outside Saudi Arabia where the Islamic establishment is actually under Wahhabi control.

For American Muslim moderates, the harsh reality of having their religion hijacked by Wahhabi radicals is something they have yet to confront. "Radical Islamic groups have now taken over leadership of the 'mainstream' Islamic institutions in the United States and anyone who pretends otherwise is deliberately engaging in self-deception," said the late Seif Ashmawi, an Egyptian-American newspaper publisher.

jfednepa.org/mark%20silverberg/wahhabi.html

jfednepa.org/mark silverberg/wahhabi.htm

American society is such that if Wahhabis want to take over the mosques in the country through their money, they can. 80 percent of American mosques receive Saudi funding.
50-50 splitting of the mosque between men and women is probably not a Wahabi priority.

But Muslim women can vote with their feet for sure in America. That is an American reality too. The freedom works both ways.

[quote="Darryl1958, post:17, topic:190145"]

But Muslim women can vote with their feet for sure in America. That is an American reality too. The freedom works both ways.

[/quote]

Only after they ritually wash them.... ;)

[quote="rlg94086, post:18, topic:190145"]
Only after they ritually wash them.... ;)

[/quote]

Point well taken.

Toe jam would add an unsettling aspect to the hanging davit fiascos of the American electorate system.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.