El Nino conditions return to affect weather

El Nino conditions return to affect weather… tinyurl.com/lufs9q

“…frost has never been reported before in July”

Worldwide temps still level.
http://www.woodfortrees.org/graph/wti

My son sent me an article about this, too.We had a record breakingly cold winter here in the “Deepest South.” And they’re calling for a repeat performance.

I don’t know how El Nino affects you, but in my part of the country it’s associated with unusually generous rain, and usually cooler temperatures, during the hottest, driest part of the year. I always welcome El Nino conditions for those reasons. I realize El Nino is not a blessing everywhere.

It’s been cool and rainy here this summer. The cool I don’t mind, the rain I could do without.

Looking at that graph… its very clearly rising. Why is it captioned the way it is?

We appreciate El Nino, also. Supposedly keeps hurricanes at bay, too.Cooler waters or something?

Hurricanes tend to decrease in the Atlantic and increase in the Pacific.

Thanks for the explanation.:slight_smile: How does it affect the Gulf? Same as the East Coast?

I really don’t know. But I have noticed in the past that oftentimes big swaths of high-energy clouds will sweep across Central America from the Eastern Pacific into the Gulf, pick up more energy then curve northward.

Gulf hurricanes are normally spawned in the Atlantic and cross into the Gulf. So fewer Atlantic hurricanes means fewer Gulf hurricanes.

El Niño can help to suppress Atlantic hurricane activity. In the United States, it typically brings beneficial winter precipitation to the arid Southwest, less wintry weather across the North, and a reduced risk of Florida wildfires.

cpc.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.html

I hope we get El Nino. Here it means we actually get rain. Last time we had it there was so much rain. It’s such a blessing here. There might actually be water in the river in the other county. Even better, the water may have a current. I haven’t seen that in years.

We can certainly use El Nino rains around here. Our water utility company has started mandatory usage cutbacks and raised the rates by more than 20%.

Yeah I was confused about that too. Anyway since that graph seems to be from 1979 or around there here is a graph from that same source with the trend. woodfortrees.org/plot/hadcrut3vgl/from:1979/plot/hadcrut3vgl/from:1979/trend

But anyway sadly I doubt el nino will bring anything but hotter then heck temperatures here in Georgia. Which sucks because it was too hot when we were in a LA nina last year. I donlt even what to know what an el nino year here is like.

South GA had 6 months with at least one day with frost or a freeze this past winter…Some meteorologists are predicting more of the same.
(It’s always hotter than heck in the Deep South in the summer.):slight_smile:

Oh I know about the freeze I was here was kinda nice getting snow though makes everything pretty when it;s fresh. As for more of the same maybe I guess it depends on how the el nino effects things this winter. But weather is funny like that so it wouldn;t surprise me if we did have another freezing day or two this winter again.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.