Elder,Overseeer

What is the difference?
How is that for a short question? :stuck_out_tongue:

What’s the context? Could you give us some passages which give one or the other? Is this a translation issue or what?

Same thing. :wink: God Bless

Seminary Criticism

Oh sorry. I didn’t realize I was being vauge. :o

I remember reading about the elders in the church having a wife and children. Paul wrote it in Hebrews maybe? I will look it up if you need me to. But the thing is I here the Pope being referred to as an overseer,and a bishop. Is he referred to as an elder as well?

Are there different kinds of elders maybe?

[quote=allisonP]Oh sorry. I didn’t realize I was being vauge. :o

I remember reading about the elders in the church having a wife and children. Paul wrote it in Hebrews maybe? I will look it up if you need me to. But the thing is I here the Pope being referred to as an overseer,and a bishop. Is he referred to as an elder as well?

Are there different kinds of elders maybe?
[/quote]

Episkopos = overseer “epi” over, “skopos” viewer. Presbyteros = elder (the root word of our “priest.”). The NT churches had one episkopos but could have more than one elder or presbyteros, as we see in John’s first epistle. So, yes: you could say there are different kinds of elders. Even today in the Church, although the offices of bishop and priest appear to be separate, all priestly powers derive from the bishop.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.