Election and praying for someone yo lose

Hi there,
Is it immoral or sinful to pray or privately offer a mass or a shift at work for a candidate to lose today’s election. Just wondering because of what will.become of the election results tonight.

I hope not! :wink:

IMHO, most likely not a sin; however, instead, maybe offer for the other candidate to win? :shrug:

It’s never immoral to pray for something that is not morally wrong. :slight_smile:

Thus, for example (unrelated example) if I’m a petty office tyrant and both I and my nicer colleague are competing for a managerial post, it wouldn’t be wrong to pray that the other guy gets the post.

On the other hand, if you were to pray for my violent death, permanent disability or eternal damnation, then… :smiley:

(and while I’m about it: GO, DONALD, GO! :thumbsup:)

A silly premise, in my opinion.

Its like praying that one Catholic University win or lose to another Catholic University in a football game.

Although persistence in prayer is necessary, this persistence doesn’t make prayer like an election…God IS NOT waiting until 8PM tonight to count prayers for or against one candidate or the other, and making it His will to determine the winner and loser based on the number of prayers received for or against a candidate.

You can do this, and pray if it’s God’s will, that the person would lose. But I think a better idea would be to offer those prayers the better candidate to win.

I have been praying very specifically that God spare us a Hillary Clinton presidency.:pray:

Me, too. :gopray:

I’m praying for nice pink aliens with silver and green polka dots to come and capture HC & DT! They will then proceed to sing hymns to the two of them and lead them to a life of peace and kindness.

Better IMINWHO to pray for the will of God to be done?

I can’t pretend to know God’s will. For that reason, I pray for God’s will to be done. Though it seems to me, obvious, which candidate is less moral, I myself, want only what the Lord our God wants for us.

I hope this makes sense.

I agree. Although I’m hoping one candidate loses its really all up to Him. He has a way of turning evil into good. However I have been praying to Our Lady and St,Michael today. Was unable to attend Mass, but prayed my Rosary and read the Mass readings. LOL, sometimes St.Paul has a good sense of humor. Today he talked about us elderly people showing a good example to the young, so make sure you’re not hitting the bottle tonight!

Exactly. We can only do so much, and God is the only one who can read the hearts and souls of the candidates. With that in mind I’ve praying for conversions for both no matter who wins.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=0HlJuDBJh0E

If one is opposing evil with prayer - that is a good thing.

But for too many, “evil” is defined as anything one doesn’t like or want, without regard to what is actually evil or righteous.

As long as when the candidate you don’t want to win - wins. Please don’t say you are moving to Canada - we don’t want you - stay in your own country and clean up your own mess.We might have to put a wall up to keep Americans out.

Sorry I could not help myself - I apologize to all I may have insulted by joking around.

It’s worse after the election. Before it seemed safe. Now the realization that women will be more attacked and called stuff like,“fat pigs’, ‘dogs’, ‘slobs’, and 'disgusting animals” will be a practice we need to humble ourselves to. I’d imagine that instead of China taking over, we might now be peacefully sold to Russia; providing the President elect doesn’t ruffle congresses feathers to blind them on the budget and sending the USA into a gaurage sale upon his taking of the presidency… hopefully, we can now pray for the nuclear bombs to be at peace … idk how to instill modesty when the President elect wants to date his daughter … but divorced her mom because he can’t have sex with a woman who’s had kids.

Lord have mercy,
Christ have mercy,
Lord have mercy,
Christ have mercy,
Lord have mercy,
Christ have mercy,
Lord have mercy,

Mother Mary, pray for us!
St Joseph, pray for us!

We prayed a 9 day rosary novina for the election, but I didn’t ask for one candidate to win or one to lose. Instead I prayed for Gods will to be done in the election–for the candidate that would be best for our nation to win. It seemed the best course of action to us.
The peace of Christ,
Mark

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.