Electronic reader

Hello,
I am thinking of buying an electronic reader. I wanted to get some opinions on if it is a good investment or not.
I love to read and like the new electronic reader with glow light.
Don’t want a tablet just a reader.
I would love your thougts and suggestions.
blessings to all,

Sony and Kobo both have excellent readers. I enjoy it, as books that you can’t find in print, but in PDF or electronic, you CAN have. For example, say you wanted a copy of the 1962 Missal from (insert publisher here), but it’s only available in PDF as a digital rendering. You can upload it to your device. Also if there’s a book you want but can’t fin locally, nowadays, you can easily find ebook versions and use them.

Apparently Amazon’s Kindle is really good too, though I’ve never used one extensively, only on stands at stores. They’re only new where I live.

If you live in the US, which I don’t, you can get one from Barnes and Noble, don’t know about that one either.

But anyways, I say GO FOR IT! It’s well worth your money, and you won’t regret it!:smiley:

Hello,
I am thinking of buying an electronic reader. I wanted to get some opinions on if it is a good investment or not.
I love to read and like the new electronic reader with glow light.
Don’t want a tablet just a reader.
I would love your thougts and suggestions.
blessings to all,

I have a Kindle Keyboard with Wi-Fi and I’m satisfied with its use. It cost around $120 at the time of purchase in December 2010. The ink is the closest thing you’ll get to actual real paper which is less strenuous on the eyes and I would consider that its greatest feature. If you read in sunny or brightly lit place there is no glare.

If you want to purchase e-books the costs vary. The most popular books out today, let’s take for example Fifty Shades of Grey for its Kindle version, cost $9.99. I bought Never Let Me Go back in late 2010 and it cost around $6. Today, NLMG Kindle version sells for $12 vs its paperback at $11. I don’t have a reason for the increase in price.

The only issues I have with it is that you can’t organize your collection as you wish, no back light and absence of actual page numbers as one would have with a book. In place of page numbers my Kindle version gives percentages, so, if you’re half way through the book it’ll be 50% at the bottom corner of the screen. The black & white book covers are a non-issue for me compared to the ones that I’ve listed.

If you want an e-reader that does what it promises to do: to produce a reading experience that resembles reading straight for an actual book, then the Kindle gets top grade. It only has one function and it does it fantastically.

amazon.com/gp/product/B004HZYA6E/ref=kindfampage_tab1_keyboard3G_title

Do you mean like a Kindle or Nook? I have the Kindle with keyboard. It isn’t backlit, so it can be easily read in direct sunlight. My mom has the Nook, and it is backlit, so it can be read in the dark, but not as well in direct sun. The Nook and Kindle Fire can stream movies and Pandora radio, if that’s something you’d like. Anything like backlight, video or music takes more battery power than simply reading on the regular Kindle.

I personally prefer the Kindle with keyboard. Not having a keyboard is irritating to me. Using a backlit device for a long time gives me a headache, too.

Finally, both the Nook and Kindle have thousands of books and periodicals available. Prices seem pretty comparable. Both have borrowing options, too, but with different rules.

Does that help?

I agree, the Kindle is awesome. Just want to point out that it does have some organizational features though, even if they aren’t all they could be: you can create “collections”, then add books to collections (you could add a single book to multiple collections if you so desired).

Basically, collections function like folders without nesting (and with the ability to have a single file in more than one without multiple copies of the file). What I do is add all my books into collections named by author (if I like an author and have many books from him) and/or by genre.

The kindle is also capable of reading pdfs, playing certain audio files (can read audiobooks) and doing the computer generated text to speech thing for some books. I recommend getting one with 3g, since it allows you to purchase books even if you’re in the middle of no where.

(I like mine.)

Thanks friends.
This is making my decision easier.
I will keep you updated.
Blessings.

I have a Nook simple touch. When it dies I plan to get a Sony.

The original Nook could play mp3 files, not so the touch (nor the new glowlight Nook). Sony does plat mp3s (music/audiobooks) & you can but a cover w/ a small reading light.

For anyone I’d suggest buying books from publishers or other sites rather than the reader manufacturer. E.g. Baen has excellent deals on SF not available on B&N nor Amazon, such as bundles of complete series.

I’d also suggest thinking twice about books you download. My rule is now to buy only ebooks that I will want to re-read. Since you can’t pass on or donate ebooks once you’re finished you’re stuck with them.
Likewise, one might expect ebooks to be cheap since there is no production or shipping cost. Not so. They usually cost more than the PB. Physical books, otoh, DO have shipping costs, thus wind up in the bargain bin.

Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.