Elevating the Host

my question: Is it required for thr preist to elevate the Host during the consacration and again at the minor elevation where the priest says, “Behold th Lamb of God”? Our priest does not show us the host. This is very confusing and sad to me. I think the mass is still valid but is it illicit? Thank you and God bless Nina

Yes, there should be an Elevation.:bowdown:

[quote=ninajmj]my question: Is it required for thr preist to elevate the Host during the consacration and again at the minor elevation where the priest says, “Behold th Lamb of God”? Our priest does not show us the host. This is very confusing and sad to me. I think the mass is still valid but is it illicit? Thank you and God bless Nina
[/quote]

The host and the chalice are to be shown at the consecration. They need not be elevated, but they usually are.

Both must however be elevated at the point where the priest says “though Him, with Him and in Him…” Many times the host will be laying on the paten so it will be difficult to see during the elevation.

What you suggest is both valid and licit.

[quote=ninajmj]my question: Is it required for thr preist to elevate the Host during the consacration and again at the minor elevation where the priest says, “Behold th Lamb of God”? Our priest does not show us the host. This is very confusing and sad to me. I think the mass is still valid but is it illicit? Thank you and God bless Nina
[/quote]

SOUNDS LIKE WE HAVE THE SAME PRIEST, I POINTED IT OUT TO OUR PRIEST, SAYING IT WAS IN THE RUBRICS OF THE MASS AND HE SAID HE WAS UNAWARE. HE’S STILL UNAWARE…:confused: AMAZING! IT DOES HAVE TO BE ELEVATED AT THE AGNUS DEI.

[/quote]

Yes he should and the action is specified in the RM. You should send him a note and ask him to reply. If no answer is received you should take it to the Bishop.

[/quote]

He should elevate the Host. It is required in the rubrics. The Chalice containing the Precious Blood should also be elevated.
The minor elevation is when the priest takes the Host in his right hand,and the Chalice in his left. And holding the Host over the Chalice signs 3 times saying "Per ipsum et cum ipso et in ipso.
In English "Through Him and With Him and In Him"
I confess all my Catholic life i have only known the Tridentine Mass. I have been to A few NO and I recognized the Minor Elevation.
God Bless

Also, be aware if he is old he may not be able to, We have a very old priest who’s elevation is chest highth- you can tell he can’t go higher. Just something else to consider :slight_smile:

You’re all wrong. See posting #3 or below:

The rubrics of the Mass instructs the celebrant to** show **the consecrated elements to the faithful.

The exact wording is:

“He shows the consecrated Host to the people, places it on the paten, and genuflects in adoration.”

and

“He shows the chalice to the people, places it on the corporal, and genuflects in adoration.”

The celebrant MUST however elevate the Eucharist at the Per Ipsum:

“He takes the chalice and the paten with the host and, lifting them up, sings or says…”

This common point of confusion is covered on pp. 123-24 of Mass Confusion by Jimmy Akin.

The Consecrated Host and Wine should be elevated after consecration for adoration of all the people.

We must know the importance of elevation and not if it is necessary or what. The main point of elevation is for adoration.

During elevation i always say in my mind “my Lord and my God” for it is not a simple elevation but for us to adore Jesus Christ who is present in the Holy Eucharist. .

[quote=viktor aleksndr]The Consecrated Host and Wine should be elevated after consecration for adoration of all the people.

We must know the importance of elevation and not if it is necessary or what. The main point of elevation is for adoration.

During elevation i always say in my mind “my Lord and my God” for it is not a simple elevation but for us to adore Jesus Christ who is present in the Holy Eucharist. .
[/quote]

No, the rubrics of the Mass do not direct this.

Mr. Akin specifically writes: “Sometimes the faithful are puzzled when different priests elevate the Host or the chalice to different degrees, some scarecly elevating it at all at the consecration. However the Mass rubrics specify only that after the consecration the priest show the consecarted elements to the faithful.”

At the* Per Ipsum* an elevation is required:

Akin writes: “At this point, the rubrics do mandate that the Eucharist be elevated.”

It’s important to follow what the Church actually directs and not what we may feel is “right” or “better.” In this case the advice given to the original poster could cause trouble not only for himself, but for a priest who is celebrating the Mass in conformity with the rubrics.

Ref. Mass Confusion by Jimmy Akin, pp 123-24, 127

I guess I’m confused. My question is: According to current liturgical law must the priest elevate the eucharist (off the paten where the people can actually see it) during the consecration? Our priest only elevates the paten with the host on it. I miss this pivotal moment when I wait in awe to adore my blessed Lord. Why would he not elevate the host? It makes me think he lacks faith in the transubtantiation. :confused:

My understanding is that the host is never to be elevated higher than the head of the priest.

Jim

The showing is slightly after the consecration. But yes, removing the host from the paten is clearly required from the rubrics in the Eucharistic Prayer. For Eucharistic Prayer 1:
“Take this, all of you, and eat it:
this is my body which will be given up for you.
He shows the consecrated host to the people, places it on the paten, and genuflects in adoration.”
(Roman Missal, Catholic Book Publishing Co., New York, 1985, page 545.)

The 2002 Roman Missal also has this, from Eucharistic Prayer 1:
“Hostiam consecratam ostendit populo, reponit super patenam, et genuflexus adorat.”
(Missale Romanum, Libreria Editrice Vaticana, 2002, ISBN: 8820972719, page 575, n. 89.)

Is there the same instruction for each Eucharistic Prayer? Yes.
Eucharistic Prayer 2, page 581.
Eucharistic Prayer 3, page 586.
Eucharistic Prayer 4, page 593.
Eucharistic Prayer for Reconciliation 1, page 677.
Eucharistic Prayer for Reconciliation 2, page 683.
Eucharistic Prayer for Various Needs 1, page 689.
Eucharistic Prayer for Various Needs 2, page 693.
Eucharistic Prayer for Various Needs 3, page 698.
Eucharistic Prayer for Various Needs 4, page 703.
Eucharistic Prayer for Children 1, page 1273.
Eucharistic Prayer for Children 2, page 1279.
Eucharistic Prayer for Children 3, page 1285.

The words used in the instructions for the Eucharistic Prayers for Children 2 and 3 are slightly different. For 2: “deponit super patenam” instead of “reponit super patenam”. But all are saying to place the host on the paten after the showing.

At the end of the Eucharistic Prayer, during the doxology, the host is not removed from the paten.

Some extracts on this from the 2002 General Introduction to the Roman Missal (GIRM) approved for the USA, which can be accessed from romanrite.com/girm.html :
“151. … At the end of the Eucharistic Prayer, the priest takes the paten with the host and the chalice and elevates them both while alone singing or saying the doxology, Per ipsum (Through him). At the end the people make the acclamation, Amen. Then the priest places the paten and the chalice on the corporal.”
"180. At the final doxology of the Eucharistic Prayer, the deacon stands next to the priest, holding the chalice elevated while the priest elevates the paten with the host, until the people have responded with the acclamation, Amen."
The word “shows” occurs four times in the GIRM.
“84. The priest prepares himself by a prayer, said quietly, that he may fruitfully receive Christ’s Body and Blood. The faithful do the same, praying silently.
The priest next shows the faithful the Eucharistic Bread, holding it above the paten or above the chalice, and invites them to the banquet of Christ. Along with the faithful, he then makes an act of humility using the prescribed words taken from the Gospels.”
“150. A little before the consecration, when appropriate, a server rings a bell as a signal to the faithful. According to local custom, the server also rings the bell as the priest shows the host and then the chalice.”
“161. If Communion is given only under the species of bread, the priest raises the host slightly and shows it to each, saying, Corpus Christi (The Body of Christ). The communicant replies, Amen, and receives the Sacrament either on the tongue or, where this is allowed and if the communicant so chooses, in the hand. As soon as the communicant receives the host, he or she consumes it entirely.”
“179. During the Eucharistic Prayer, the deacon stands near the priest but slightly behind him, so that when needed he may assist the priest with the chalice or the Missal.
From the epiclesis until the priest shows the chalice, the deacon normally remains kneeling. …”.

The Ceremonial of Bishops is an unofficial translation of Caeremoniale Episcoporum. My understanding is that the translation has not been approved by the Vatican. It uses the word elevation, for example in n. 155: “The deacons remain kneeling from the epiclesis to the elevation of the cup.”
(Ceremonial of Bishops, Liturgical Press, 1989, ISBN 0-8146-1818-9, page 57).
But the Latin edition has the word “ostensionem” which means “shows” rather than “elevates”. The sentence in n. 155 is: “Diaconi inde ab epislesi usque ad ostensionem calicis genuflexi manent.”
(Caeremoniale Episcoporum, Liberia Editrice Vaticana, 1995, ISBN 88-209-4217-8, page 48.)

I thought yes…It should be elevated both times…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.